rufunky

100 sq ft centralized microphone. Need recommendations

I just got a cheepo 4 cam Kguard system for an area that is aproximatly 100 sq ft and now I'm looking for a centralized microphone to keep by the regiter which is in the center of the shop. Any suggestions?

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm

Keep in mind, a mic in the middle of the room is going to pick up ALL the room noise; if you're expecting to catch conversations at the register or something, forget it, unless it's right on the counter. It's not like a camera where you can zoom in later on one area; it's not like CSI where you can load up some software and extract a couple of voices clearly with a few mouse clicks.

Thanks Soundy, I should have mentioned that the place where this is to be used is a pretty quiet place.. The only noise that would be heard in there is conversations between the customers/workers and I or if someone were to break in.

Would these mics be ideal for this setup.. Or should I just get a standard PC desktop mic and mount it at the register?

Thanks Soundy, I should have mentioned that the place where this is to be used is a pretty quiet place.. The only noise that would be heard in there is conversations between the customers/workers and I or if someone were to break in.

Would these mics be ideal for this setup.. Or should I just get a standard PC desktop mic and mount it at the register?

Thats what you think till you fire up the mic..... is there any HVAC in the room? if so you WILL hear it and if the mic is not isolated properly that will be all you hear.

Thats what you think till you fire up the mic..... is there any HVAC in the room? if so you WILL hear it and if the mic is not isolated properly that will be all you hear.

Oh good point, yes there is an HVAC.

As thewireguys notes, you should also check the legality of audio recording: in many jurisdictions, just doing so is illegal. In others, it's illegal unless you have signs up notifying people that it's in use. In still others, it's legal, but invalid for evidence unless there are signs... and so on.

And regarding background noise like HVAC... remember that over time, people tend to "tune out" background noise and common, repetitive sounds - heck, we live 100' from the train tracks and except when I have to turn up the TV, or when the freights are shunting in the intermodal yard about a kilometer down, I don't even notice the trains going by.

The mic, on the other hand, WILL pick up those noises you don't even notice anymore, and you won't be able to tune them out of the recording so easily (the human mind is a strange beast).

I will be sure to post a sign indicating that the premise is being monitored by both audio and video. ( I will also look up the laws before doing so )

I was looking on amazon and came across this http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Sensitive-Microphone-Monitoring-1UB/dp/B002S4G870?tag=gpse-20 . It seems to have good reviews and is in my price range. Any thoughts?

I would talk to a good lawyer before you do this... what state are you in?

Wow, they take that pretty seriously. From what I see you're best to leave the mic at the Karaoke bar.

Soundy: I've not been able to find anything for B.C. are there any restrictions on voice recording here? Are signs needed on personal property (for video only)?

Wow, they take that pretty seriously. From what I see you're best to leave the mic at the Karaoke bar.

WOW is right .. That left my head spinning.

I was wondering why audio didnt come up as much as I expected in these forums.. Way to many technicalities, all of which you youd need to be a lawyer to sort out.

My understanding (not 100% confirmed, BTW) for BC is that "public" audio recording is legal, but will not be admissible in court as evidence unless there was signage to the effect.

The Canadian Criminal Code includes an interesting bit:

Section 184(1) of the Criminal Code states:

184(1)

Everyone who, by means of any electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device, willfully intercepts a private communication is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

(2)

Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person who has the consent to intercept, express or implied, of the originator of the private communication or of the person intended by the originator thereof to receive it.

Also Section 183.1 of the Criminal Code states:

Where a private communication is originated by more than one person or is intended by the originator thereof to be received by more than one person, a consent to the interception thereof by any one of those persons is sufficient consent for the purposes of any provision of this Part.

Under the Criminal Code, a “private communication” means:

any oral communication or any telecommunication that is made by an originator who is in Canada or is intended by the originator to be received by a person who is in Canada, and that it is made under circumstances in which it is reasonable for the originator to expect that it will not be intercepted by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it, and includes any radio-based telephone communication that is treated electronically or otherwise for the purpose of preventing intelligible reception by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it.

In other words, audio surveillance is illegal UNLESS one of the parties of the conversation is aware of and consents to the recording... which means you can legally record your own conversations without informing anyone else involved. Whether that's still admissible in court is another matter, of course.

BTW, the MA stuff, I found from here: http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=13492 - includes links to the different states' legislature sites, as well as a summary of federal statues.