Furious.George

Outdoor Cameras: Proper installation for new construction

I'd planned to use junction boxes in the masonry for a few outdoor CCTV cameras.

I marked the locations for the construction manager, and asked him to please have the masonry guys install them when laying the brick.

That did not happen.

I'm trying to avoid cutting into the brick to install the junction boxes after the fact.

Can anyone suggest a solution that would likely not violate code for new construction?

4. Get the mortar guys back to redo the job right, and then let them and the super fight it out over who pays for the extra work (hint: it WON'T be you).

Actually, that might not be the case... how big is this job? Is this a well-known construction contractor? Were the boxes on the plans? And if not, were change controls being used? If you requested these boxes through the proper procedures, and they were on the plans, then it means either the GC or the bricklayers messed up, and should fix their work; you shouldn't be responsible for trying to find a solution.

3)mount camera to brick covering wire hole or mount box and then attach camera to box.

This is what I want to do now, but (not being a licensed electrician, and not being completely familiar with the codes) I fear it will fail inspection in Camden, NJ.

I may just mount box externally, as you also suggested.

4. Get the mortar guys back to redo the job right, and then let them and the super fight it out over who pays for the extra work (hint: it WON'T be you).

LoL. I don't want to make waves, as I'd rather keep the client for the next one.

Actually, that might not be the case... how big is this job? Is this a well-known construction contractor? Were the boxes on the plans? And if not, were change controls being used? If you requested these boxes through the proper procedures, and they were on the plans, then it means either the GC or the bricklayers messed up, and should fix their work; you shouldn't be responsible for trying to find a solution.

I have no contractual language to fall back on. I gave the GC's construction manager the J-Boxes at a bar.

I was thinking of mounting the boxes externally, mounting the camera next to it, and doing it up with a drip loop.

I have a guy who owns a small CCTV company coming out to mount the cameras for me, and I'm putting the responsibility on him (I'm more of a general tech), with the stipulation that I'm gonna back charge him if I have to fix a failed inspection.

First off what kind of cameras are you going to be mounting on the outside of your building? Dome Cameras, bullet cameras or box Cameras?