Hey folks where can I find a VGA to BNC adapter. I want to take the VGA signal out of my DVR hook it up to RG6 via BNC then run it to my remote monitor which only has BNC inputs.

I don't want the BNC to VGA adapter, I am not sure if those are "backwards" compatible know what i mean? Thanx

Thanx for the reply, I am already doing what all there products do. The video card I have installed on my DVR has DVI/S-video/vga out.

As it is set up right now I am using the S-Video out to RCA, then using an RCA to BNC adapter to RG6 running about 100' to my to remote moniter. The picture is "okay", BUT I know that if I come out dvi/or vga the picture would improve 100%. Mainly because the ATI software only allows T.V. resolution what 640x480 something like that using a s-video output, then going 100' you get the picture. :{ My wish is to be able to go DVI to VGA with an (in stock) adapter then bounce to BNC.

Or start looking at those video extenders via cat 5/6 however I will end up with the same problem at the remote monitor end which is a 26" Pelco. Or I could start surfing the net looking for a 'cheap' 26"+ LCD monitor and buy one of those vga extenders via cat 5/6. It seems either way if I want to get better resolutions at my remote monitor it isn't gonna be cheap. Unless somebody here has a better idea I think without spending a few hundred dollars I am screwed, or stop being anal and live with it......arrrffff

Going VGA-to-composite won't improve anything over S-to-composite... the composite signal is still your weak link. An Averkey will allow you to run higher resolutions, but the composite signal will still be your weak link - you'll get finer details, but they'll just look fuzzy, as video signal is still limited to 525 lines. (BTW, I've used the ATI cards, you CAN get the driver to display higher res out of the S-video port... but again, your actual display resolution is still limited to NTSC spec).

So... going VGA all the way is the way to go. No, taking VGA 100' won't be cheap. It doesn't need to be THAT expensive, though - a retailer here has 100' shielded VGA extensions for just under $100. PITA to run that cable though - a UTP extender is definitely more efficient to install.

OK thank you, BUT at the remote monitor side I am still stuck with getting back to BNC, If I was to run say the 100" vga cable. Now I looked at the averkey stuff, might have missed it but it still leaves me with vga out/s-video out (loosing my res again), I follow the hook up the 'transmitter' and go cat6e to the receiver. Looks to me I would have to not only buy the transmitter and receiver and then a 26" vga lcd monitor. To actually accomplish my goal.

This Pelco Public View 26" monitor has high res capabilities, and I have hooked up the spot monitor to it, MAJOR difference in video quality. The problem is that even with the new 7.1.47 software on my DS realVue they still don't allow you to send both 'spot' monitors out to a single video stream, each 'spot' monitor is tied to a single card ergo 8 channels each per 'spot'. frustrating to say the least. I have been looking at possibly using a "T" bnc connector to see if I can combine the 'spot' signal into a single video stream.

In my shop I have a regular 19" pelco lcd monitor sitting on top of the dvr vga out, then across the shop I have a 26" public view monitor that is hooked up via the "spot" monitors, I had to rearrange my inputs to card one (I am only using 2 cards and of that 13 Channels are in use) so my priority cameras are shown on "video one", then the dreaded s-video to rca to bnc to rg6 to my room to another public view 26".

It would be nice if 'frigging' Pelco would smarten up with the spot monitors, there only 15 minutes from my house and I have several techs there two of whom have become personal friends, I rebuld these units so am on the phone quite a bit.

The only other cheaper way I can think of is to figure out a way to 'custom build' a vga adapter issue with that is I am only going to be able to use two wires off the vga eh?

Did I give you a good enough picture here of my setup?

I dont think the 19" monitor will allow me to just use the video 'loop' through, if I am not mistaken you have to input a video signal say video one and then it will will loop through to the video out (bnc), in other words I dont think I can just simply 'bnc' out of the 19", (as I am writing ideas are coming to mind LOL), so what is shown on the local monitor doesn't come out the 'bnc' out built into the monitor.

Thanx again for your input.

OK thank you, BUT at the remote monitor side I am still stuck with getting back to BNC, If I was to run say the 100" vga cable.

Okay, I got the impression the remote monitor you're trying to send video to had VGA input as well as composite. Alas, if it only has composite in, you're limited to what the monitor will display, no matter what you do. With LCD monitors, that tends to look particularly poor due to the square, well-defined pixels.

Now I looked at the averkey stuff, might have missed it but it still leaves me with vga out/s-video out (loosing my res again)

Yes... that is the whole point: it will take your full-resolution VGA signal (some models, I believe, do up to 1600x1200 or even higher) and generate a composite/s-video output... which gets around the limitations of your video card that apparently won't do over 640x480 to its S-video output. The VGA output on the Averkey is just a loop-through. (Note: the Averkey is designed to do more than that - it will let you do things like freeze the display and zoom in on portions of the screen... it's meant mainly as a presentation device).

I follow the hook up the 'transmitter' and go cat6e to the receiver. Looks to me I would have to not only buy the transmitter and receiver and then a 26" vga lcd monitor. To actually accomplish my goal.

The VGA baluns are used simply to extend a VGA signal over UTP, instead of using a long VGA cable... so either way, ultimately, if you want higher than 525 display lines, you need to go to a monitor with VGA input, and get the VGA signal there one way or the other.

S-video doesn't improve the resolution AT ALL - all it does is send the luma and chroma (brightness and color) portions of the signal separately, which generally allows for a sharper display IF the display device support S-video in. Re-combining them into a composite signal provides no benefit, no matter if it's done at the sending or receiving end.

I have been looking at possibly using a "T" bnc connector to see if I can combine the 'spot' signal into a single video stream.

Won't work; you can't simply "merge" video signals.

The only other cheaper way I can think of is to figure out a way to 'custom build' a vga adapter issue with that is I am only going to be able to use two wires off the vga eh?

Hmmm.... I'm not sure I entirely follow; the "stream of consciousness" style is a bit confusing.

Here's what it boils down to: composite NTSC video is limited to 525 lines; your standard composite video is typically 480 interlaced lines ("480i" in modern marketing parlance). That's the most you have to work with if you're going to ANY monitor's BNC input, regardless of your source, regardless of your transport method, period, end of story. Anything higher than that is going to be downscaled somewhere along the way.

If you want higher-than-VGA resolutions from your DVR, you have to use a monitor with a VGA input (or HDMI or DVI, which I mention only because someone else is sure to bring it up... but extending those to >100' is REALLY bloody expensive, so it's not worth mentioning in context of this discussion).