j4str

best camera for $75

I want to start getting cameras, but since im strapped for cash, im going to start with just 1. That way i can get it all setup, have it up and running and then add cameras.

The first camera i want to mount in the soffit over my front porch. i was thinking about mounting it about 20' away from the porch, at the corner of my house, so that i can see all of my porch. At night there is a street light across the street and it is never dark enough that you can't see anything. I don't need to see have it super crystal clear, as long as i could figure out who stopped by when i wasnt home. I realize that in that price range its not going to be a perfect picture.

i figured one of these would probably do what i want it to. but didn't know if there was anything better in the el cheapo price range

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=110&cp_id=11006&cs_id=1100602&p_id=6640&seq=1&format=3

I would say if you are going to go "el cheapo" go way cheap and save up for something decent later, I bought a camera from a forum member that I am satisfied with.

http://www.suhotechnology.com/product/prod_view.asp?maxx=1&prod_num=16&maxxval=0001&maxxname=Camera&midx=0004&midxxname=IR%20Bullet%20Camera&minx=0000&minxxname=

My point was that i have about $75 to spend on the camera. I want to get something in that price range. That way i can see if it suits my needs or not. That way in the future i can decide if i want another of the same one, or if i need something better than that.

I'd say that camera is worth about $30.

Well tell me about one worth $75 or more for $75.

My point was that i have about $75 to spend on the camera. I want to get something in that price range. That way i can see if it suits my needs or not. That way in the future i can decide if i want another of the same one, or if i need something better than that.

Most Color IR cameras in that price range will pretty much be the same.

Just make sure it is 1/3" and 4mm or less, for your app.

If you want to see the difference between a couple different color IR and a TDN IR check my sig links.

Most Color IR cameras in that price range will pretty much be the same.

Just make sure it is 1/3" and 4mm or less, for your app.

If you want to see the difference between a couple different color IR and a TDN IR check my sig links.

the other camera i posted, somebody said was junk. So id rather somebody who knows what they are doing, pick out the camera. Do you say 4mm because i want to shoot my front porch? Maybe i should post a pic of my house and what i want to accomplish.

I attached a pic of my house. And keep in mind that there is a street light across the street, so its never "pitch black" at night. It gets dark, but never dark enough that i would trip on anything, or feel the need for a flashlight to walk out to the car.

549539595_housecamera.jpg.6f4666f285bf9edf2659eec1f930a629.jpg

so am i to understand that id be better of with something that isn't an infrared day/night camera? Since it doesn't get "pitch black"

In your case, the problem is that the area by the cars might be too dark for the camera. A basic color bullet normally sees very little to nothing in low light. I have one here, but I also have a dusk to dawn which puts out alot of light, and I use TDN with IR in the lower light area. Its taken me a while to perfect my cameras, it takes time most which we could never do for a client, and I continue to perfect and change them. Mine are all 2nd hand used cameras actually, I got them free. So what Im saying is, dont expect to get it perfect the first time, especially when using cheaper more basic cameras.

Sorry I had to take out that store link, we have to protect our advertisers, but you could PM him for further info if you like. You could try a basic color bullet and see what its like, in most cases a Color IR wont do much with that view anyway other than light up the front door area, which already looks like it has light? Additionally a color IR camera can make the greens looked washed out. Dont get me wrong, I sell both, the color IR we sell is even cheaper than the color only, but the color only has a fixed glass Infrared Cut Filter for real colors in the day. Ofcourse these are all low resolution cameras. My concern with the camera in the link though would be whether or not it has an IR Cut filter for both the price and the lux level they mention. The color only bullet I use for example has a 1/4" Sony CCD with a glass IR Cut filter placed over the CCD chip, this makes it a little more expensive, but around the same price as that one. They mention theirs sees in low light, which begs the question whether it has the fixed IR cut filter, without it the camera can be more sensitive.

Ofcourse there is always the option to go BW only as well, would work either way unless it was pitch dark. KT&C have basic BW mini bullet cameras. As these mini bullets are small hard for anyone to see it on the building. But if you are concerned about vandalism then you might want to look at a vandal dome, in your price range it would be a Turret Color IR Dome.

Yeah the colors off because they dont have and IR cut filter as I thought. That CNB is nice but it generally costs around $100 while the varifocal one with settings is only a few dollars more. I use the indoor version of that the DFL-20s and works great for the price. Anyway no IR cut filter thats also why those 2 bullets are seeing more at night. I took the IR cut (broke it actually LOL) out of my TDN bullet here and right away can see how much more it sees at night in dark conditions.

IR Cut vs None:

01.jpg

Another view .. top left camera no IR Cut, top right is the cheap color bullet we use with IR cut.

bottom left has IR cut, bottom right is old BW bullet.

i think this illustrates why I like the color bullet with the IR cut filter so much more needs alot of light at night though ...

variouscolorir.jpg

Here is the cheap Color IR bullet I use right now .. no ir cut but has basic IR and 3.6mm 1/3"

xts_colorirbulletday.jpg

It can see at night, just cant see Infrared, nor can it see as much due to not only having a fixed IR cut filter but its lux level is also not that low. It still does an okay job though:

In this image I could not see well to walk, due to how dark it is, though its not night yet. This is the DFL-20s. I generally only used them for applications with alot of light so didnt do any real low light testing yet.

dfl20snight.jpg

But yeah take out the IR cut filter, loose the good colors, but you will see more at night

in most cases a Color IR wont do much with that view anyway other than light up the front door area, which already looks like it has light?

we turn the lights off once it starts getting late and we don't think any one else is stopping by. What i would prefer is a color camera during the day, and black and white at night. All this technical talk is giving me a headache.

But if you are concerned about vandalism then you might want to look at a vandal dome, in your price range it would be a Turret Color IR Dome.

I have absolutly zero concern about vanalism. My town has very little crime. We do have our share of drug addicts, but they only target "easy" houses. My main number one reason for putting up security cameras is so that people will know i have them, but i also want them to function.

Can some people recommend some specific models, or pm me some links, for what you would put up for my application, keeping in mind my price range?

i can get this one for $65

http://www.avsipcctv.com/products/camera/torpedo/nw3848ir

it look like its worth the money?