dvarapala

Filter Size(s)

I've looked at a lot of specs for CCTV cameras recently and something that is almost never mentioned is the filter size. Is this because most CCTV camera lenses do not accept screw-on filters? Or is it because there is a standard size that they all have so nobody bothers to mention it? In the latter case, what is that size?

Thanks!

Just looked at seven different C/CS-mount lenses I have here, variety of designs from a variety of manufacturers, and not one has a thread for a screw-on filter. So that's probably the main part of your reasoning there: it's just not a common thing.

There is some standard size of filter for example: M37, M49, M62.

However, not every lens support screw-on filter, some low end lenses just come without any thread for filter. but, as long as the lens come with a thread, it should be a standard size(it makes no sense to make a non standard thread for any lens manufacturer) . for the exact size, if it isn't specified in their manual, you can try to measure it yourself.

I'm still struggling with this. It seems that I not only have to worry about the diameter of the filter, but the thread pitch as well. For example, my Sony camcorder has a 37mm diameter and a 0.75mm thread pitch. Computar (as an example) megapixel CCTV lenses all seem to have a 0.5mm thread pitch with various diameters. I have been unsuccessful finding filters or even step-up adapter rings in this size and with these thread pitches.

Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places?

I've used SLR filters on CCTV lenses before... basically just by placing the filter in front of the lens and then wrapping some PVC tape around to hold it in place. You need a smaller filter, and it works better with larger-diameter lenses, so the size disparity isn't so much... use the quality tape, the stuff that doesn't get brittle in the cold, and it works fine - I have cameras that have been in place for 5+ years with this setup.

Duct tape isn't stretchy enough. PVC tape, aka black tape or electrical tape. Again, though, use the good stuff that stretches well and doesn't get brittle in the cold... not the cheap 80-cents-a-roll stuff.