redisol

Two cameras 1 meter apart using UTP

I'm planning to upgrade my outdoor cable from coax to UTP due to problems with interference. I inadvertently used a cheap low quality coax for my setup and I figured I might as well replace them with UTP.

The two cameras are located about 30meters away from my DVR. If I want to use a single UTP for the two cameras which are about a meter apart facing opposite directions, what is the correct way to do it? It is ok to strip the UTP at around 1/2meter for the tip and feed two pairs to camera 1 and another two pairs to camera 2 like this?

c206467a-1.png

Will this solve my interference problem?

The two cameras are located about 30meters away from my DVR. If I want to use a single UTP for the two cameras which are about a meter apart facing opposite directions, what is the correct way to do it? It is ok to strip the UTP at around 1/2meter for the tip and feed two pairs to camera 1 and another two pairs to camera 2 like this?

Yes, although what I'd probably do is terminate the run in a junction box somewhere between the two, and do a separate run of UTP OR coax/power from there to each camera.

The only other question is whether you'll see too much voltage drop... that will be dependent on the voltage and current draw. What kind of cameras are these?

Will this solve my interference problem?

That depends on the actual cause of your interference problem.

Thanks. I guess you're right - it would be better to use a junction box. I think the cause of my interference is the low quality coax cable. I used a cheap one and I believe the outer conductors are not made of copper - aluminum? Will I be better off replacing it with a better coax?

I used this ordinary cctv camera in waterproof housing. I may not use utp to feed the power since I already have an existing line and I can still use it.

Thanks. I guess you're right - it would be better to use a junction box. I think the cause of my interference is the low quality coax cable. I used a cheap one and I believe the outer conductors are not made of copper - aluminum? Will I be better off replacing it with a better coax?

That's another option. The foil-shielded stuff is crap for CCTV and is almost certainly the source of your interference. Best option is all-copper center conductor (chances are your stuff is copper-clad steel) and a 95% braided copper shield... RG-6 or RG-59, not RG-58.

I used this ordinary cctv camera in waterproof housing. I may not use utp to feed the power since I already have an existing line and I can still use it.

That's a good idea too... you could replace the two old coax with one UTP and have capacity for up to four cameras, if you use the existing power run. Just remember you need a *pair* of baluns for each camera as well, if you go UTP.