dahomes

Two Floor Home Installation Techniques

Hello Forum members. I'm new to the Forum and look forward to discussing all things CCTV with you.

Decided about 9 months ago to add CCTV and Access Control to my services as we were a primarily resi security company beforehand. Have about 30 successful projects behind us at this point and are looking forward to increasing that significantly this year.

I cringe every time I have to bid on a customer that wants cameras in their two story home. Homes here are typically concrete slab construction. If they are wanting exterior cameras, that's no big deal as we are good at running conduit when necessary to get to the attic to run our cables or running wires inside garage.

But what do I do when they want interior cameras on the main floor? Can you give me some ideas and techniques that you use to run cables in this scenario with little to no wall/ceiling damage.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

If they have a gas-insert fireplace or gas heat, there's probably a fair-sized framework around the exhaust vent (often disguised as a typical chimney)... you could drop FT6 coax or Cat5 through that to get between floors.

My townhouse was pre-wired with Cat3 for phone, all jacks running back to the incoming cable point at a junction box in the garage... the phone only uses one pair, so I've use the other three for video - tie them all together in the garage junction point, then I can tap near or at any phone jack.

You could also look at various ethernet-over-powerline devices.

The chimney trick is great. Usually great access from bottom floor and again in the attic.

Running cables up to the attic from the level below it, then back down to where the other end needs to go always works.

I would suggest you try to mount cameras under soffits (dome or bullet mounted to wall just below) and running the wires into the attic (easy to do). Then your in the attic for easy running.

I don't know about your customers, but I don't like a lot of conduit on my house.

So a scenario for mounting and wiring a camera on the wall of a room with an attic above.

-Drill hole in header of wall in attic above where camera will be mounted

-Find stud, drill holes to mount camera

-Drill bigger hole for cable to be run into wall

-Push cable down from hole in header, pull it out the hole in wall

-Wire up and mount camera!

Probably basic for most here, but thought I would go ahead and write it..

The problem that comes up is when you want an interior camera on the lower floor. That header on the top of the wall has no easy access to drill, and run cable through. I can't think of any easy way around it...

Oh, and don't you just hate running wires down insulated walls. Yea, weighted lines or fiberglass rods help, but its a pain.

The chimney trick is great. Usually great access from bottom floor and again in the attic.

Running cables up to the attic from the level below it, then back down to where the other end needs to go always works.

I would suggest you try to mount cameras under soffits (dome or bullet mounted to wall just below) and running the wires into the attic (easy to do). Then your in the attic for easy running.

I don't know about your customers, but I don't like a lot of conduit on my house.

So a scenario for mounting and wiring a camera on the wall of a room with an attic above.

The problem that comes up is when you want an interior camera on the lower floor. That header on the top of the wall has no easy access to drill, and run cable through. I can't think of any easy way around it...

Oh, and don't you just hate running wires down insulated walls. Yea, weighted lines or fiberglass rods help, but its a pain.

That last scenario (interior camera on lower floor) is what I was asking. I'm comfortable pulling cable through an attic and down walls without any problem. The problem is when they need to be on the lower level on the interior. What a nightmare.

Yes, I hate insulated walls too. Even worse than insulated walls, though, is a nice fireblock to drill through. It's one thing when you're pulling a single cable, but I did a job just last week that was a 16 camera system and there was a fireblock halfway up the wall at the endpoint where I was connecting to my DVR. That's a big bundle of cable at that point!!!

That last scenario (interior camera on lower floor) is what I was asking. I'm comfortable pulling cable through an attic and down walls without any problem. The problem is when they need to be on the lower level on the interior. What a nightmare.

Yes, I hate insulated walls too. Even worse than insulated walls, though, is a nice fireblock to drill through. It's one thing when you're pulling a single cable, but I did a job just last week that was a 16 camera system and there was a fireblock halfway up the wall at the endpoint where I was connecting to my DVR. That's a big bundle of cable at that point!!!

Is there crown molding in any of those rooms? You can hide quite a large bundle of cable behind crown molding.

There is often a big chimney-like space that runs between floors to allow plumbing and HVAC ductwork to run from the first floor up to the attic. Follow the big duct coming out of the top of the furnace and see where it leads. Then talk your customer into mounting their cameras just on the other side of it.

I would use Cat5 and install it just like a motion detector (even use a covert PIR cam.). Use a 18" 3/8" bell-hanger bit to start the hole, then switch to a 4' flex bit to drill all the way up. Hopefully you can pick a spot where the 4'er will pop-up under carpet in a closet. Then carpet-run it to the nearest wall and tuck it under the space between the tack strip and bottom plate. From there you can just expose it up to the attic with staples, or hide it in the wall if you want to do it nice.

If the bit pops-up in a bedroom or hallway, then just carpet-run to the best interior wall to gain attic access.

Plan the drilling first, go up and down a few times to verify you won't be drilling though tile or any furniture. Stay away from bathrooms, wet bars, wood floors. If you don't want to drill through carpet (it wont hurt normal carpet, but will destroy Berber Loop) peel it back first, then you'll need to re-stretch it (I can do it without a carpet-kicker if it's just a little corner I peeled back), just jump into it like a kicker would do.

This is something I have to do often!

A good plan of attack can save blood, sweat and tears later, so knock on walls, peel back carpets, take up floorboards, do what you have to do! I've spent hours scratching my head, wandering how I'm going to completely hide cables, sometimes you just have to face that it's not possible. Hiding cable runs is an art in itself!

A long 8mm drillbit... a slight incision here, keyhole surgery there... a good set of cable rods... a tub of ready mixed filler... and a bit of luck!