slickkguy

Can't connect to cameras through videoviewer from home

Hi, I just had a power outage a few days ago. My router was reset and now i can only log in from the shop where the router is. I also had to change the ip as the one that I used before had a connection error, so that i could log in. When i got home I tried to log on with the new IP but it didn't work. I'm trying to figure out how this happened and thinking it was the router reset that did this. Can anyone help me solve this problem or knows how to change my wireless settings back to the previous state so I could view the live video at home? If there is any information I could give to make it easier to solve please say so as I am a rookie at this. Thanks

Some providers do not issue a 'real' static IP address, when the router is rebooted the IP gets released and a new one is given. This may be the problem

Yes, the IP address is the same as the dvr and the router. I have done the following and pinged the IP address and it states Sent= 4 Recieved= 4 Lost= 0 (0% loss). I am able to communicate to the dvr from where the router is connected to the computer but i want to watch it from a different computer at home. Is there anything I can do to make this happen. It says Connection Error if i log on from any other network either than where the dvr is. Please help, thanks. I am willing to pay if someone could walk me through the process.

Sometimes if the power is off long enough the ISP will use your IP for someone else and when you are back up they then assign you a new IP, just turning the router off and on again normally doesnt do that, though could depend on the ISP.

1-Assuming you dont have a static IP from the ISP, sign up for an account at DynDns.com and add a new free web service, set it as a DVR - pick a DDNS name, eg. me.dyndns.biz

2-Enter that info in the DDNS section of the router - if the router doesnt have that DDNS update feature then download their free software for Mac or PC and install it on a computer that is always on.

3-Make sure your DVR is set to a static IP based on the Router's. eg. 192.168.1.200

Also set the subnet mask to the router's subnet mask, eg. 255.255.255.0, and set the gateway as the router's local IP. eg. 192.168.1.1 - DNS on the DVR is not normally required at least for basic live video.

4-Setup TCP port forwarding in the router, point the port to the DVR's local IP.

Test connection to that port from a remote computer with telnet or other, or use a service such as websitepulse.

Ok so i have signed up for a ddns account i filled in the ddns part for the router and it says invalid domain name. Then i went to check for remote viewing at that site you listed and it says no route to host. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I also checked my port with it saying "your port is not open or not reachable!" When i can view the live video from the browser at the shop. What am i doing wrong. My gateway is the default one 192.168.1.100 and i switched the dvr to static ip with the ip being 192.168.1.104. I am so frustrated someone help please. This is so confusing yet it should be simple.

did you add a new service under the DDNS account? Thats where you choose the DDNS name, then add to cart (free) and check out (free for up to 2 DDNS names).

in the router's DDNS section would be:

DDNS Service: DynDns.org

Username: Your DynDns.org user login

Password: Your DynDns.org user password

HostName: the DDNS name you created

ok so i have successfully updated the ddns but how come i can't log on and watch the video using the host name i still have to use the ip address. It seems that i am getting somewhere now all i need to do is get the port to work. Still states that it is still able to ping my router but says my port is not open Do i really need this step so i can view remotely if someone can try it out on their network please help. I've been working on this since 6 in the morning.

do you have the IP that the ISP assigned the modem?

If you have that, first check that works.

from a remote location ...

using XP goto start, run, type CMD then type telnet IP PORT

where IP is the ISP IP and the port is the DVRs port.

If the screen goes blank then its good, otherwise it will show an error.

If it works then only need to get the DDNS name working for that router.

May need to look at those settings a little closer.

Otherwise, if it didnt connect then need to go back to the drawing board.

Check the DVR's settings are correct. List them all here, IP, Subnet, Gateway.

Make sure in the port forwarding section of the router you setup that port to goto the DVR's IP, using TCP.

What router is it?

Enable Remote Admin in the router and PM me the IP, Port, and login info for the router and I can take a look at that side of it. If you want me to look at the DDNS side of it also PM me that login, dont worry I will have forgotten it by tomorrow or you could always change the login pass.

Remember that most modems don't allow you to connect to their outside IP address. In other words, you can't "go out then back in". To test your ability to view from outside your network, go to a friends house or maybe a random coffee-shops' wifi and try top connect from their.

You should set up the DDNS Updater utility on a computer inside your network so when the modems' WAN IP changes, it will be automatically updated.

Here is the info you asked for

IP: 192.168.1.103

Subnet: 255:255:255:0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Port:9090

I have sent you a pm if you could just please look at it, thanks alot.

i also do not have access to a remote location

Here is the info you asked for

IP: 192.168.1.103

Subnet: 255:255:255:0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Port:9090

I have sent you a pm if you could just please look at it, thanks alot.

i also do not have access to a remote location

I can access the DVR browser based app using your IP and port 9090 .. cant access the router though.

So that works .. its port forwarded okay. Now just need to assign the DDNS to it.