SambaNoodles

Machine Rebooting

Hi.

I have a PC configured as a DVR running GeoVision software. I am running v8.4 of Geovision, under Windows XP.

About once every week or so, it seems the machine mysteriously reboots itself. I am trying to figure out why?

I looked at the Event Codes under Windows XP Event Viewer, and based on those codes, it seems that the reboot is desginated as a "normal shutdown" event (code "6006"). That seems to indicate to me that this is not an "out of the blue" reboot, but rather the Operating System or some application is initiating this reboot. Which app is doing this, I cannot say.

I know that GeoVision is, by default, enabled to send a reboot signal if a particular analog camera loses its signal...but I turned off that feature and still get reboots happening roughly every week. So, I am not so sure that the GeoVisioin software is the culprit.

Could this be a hardware problem? The PC is powered via a UPS backup power supply. I believe this UPS can force the machine to shutdown gracefully, but there are no logs being generated that indicate that this is happening.

Any other ideas? I am kind of clued out here. I don't want to start replacing components (Video Card, Motherboard) one by one until this problem goes away. So maybe others have seen this happen before.

Is the system reboot feature in geovision enabled?

I normally set my DVRs to reboot every 7 days.

^What Rory said - a lot of PC-based DVRs include an option to reboot the system on a set schedule (on Vigils, the default setting if for 12:00AM every Monday).

Since the log is showing a "normal shutdown" event, that means something is intentionally initiating the shutdown/restart sequence in Windows - the same as you clicking Start -> Shutdown -> Reboot -> OK.

Question: is this causing problems, or are you just curious as to why it's happening?

Question: is this causing problems, or are you just curious as to why it's happening?

More just curiousity...I don't like things happening that I did not intend to happen.

How would I find this mysterious feature is enabled? I don't see any obvious place to look.

How would I find this mysterious feature is enabled? I don't see any obvious place to look.

That's the main thing that pisses me off with GV - different config options are scattered all over the place.

there is a big fat menu item that should stick out .. "auto reboot setup" or maybe "system reboot" in newer versions

there is a big fat menu item that should stick out .. "auto reboot setup" or maybe "system reboot" in newer versions

O.K....so maybe I'm blind or going senile or something, because the only thing I see is an option to auto-restart[or shutdown] if you exit the GeoVision application. I don't see any option to schedule reboots for any specific time. So, does this feature not exist in v8.4?

I havent used 8.4 so cant say, but dont see why they would take it out after all this time, its a main feature they have had for years now, most DVRs have this feature even the cheap stand alones. They may have renamed the menu item though.

O.K....so maybe I'm blind or going senile or something, because the only thing I see is an option to auto-restart[or shutdown] if you exit the GeoVision application. I don't see any option to schedule reboots for any specific time. So, does this feature not exist in v8.4?

On the main screen, click on Configure then General Settings. You should see AutoReboot Setup. Remove the Check from the box to disable the autoreboot function

On the main screen, click on Configure then General Settings. You should see AutoReboot Setup. Remove the Check from the box to disable the autoreboot function

Damn...I SEE IT....and yes it is enabled.....So that explains it....and it also officially makes me an idiot.