Numb-nuts

Residential CCTV and the Laws that Apply

I was told that in the UK, under section 36 of the Data Protection act that residential users of CCTV

were exempt from having to register their scheme. I had a letter from my local authority saying that

I had to have permission to operate a CCTV scheme, even if it is for security of my own property.

A clerk at the local law center wrote them a letter asking them to advise under which legislation

I was required to get permission. They wrote back ignoring that request and stated that neighbors

had expressed civil liberty concerns. He replied to the letter stating that anyone that has such concerns

is welcome, by appointment to see a sample recording from any camera on my property if it overlooks

theirs despite not being required to by law, I would cooperate with any investigation they wish to make.

I never heard from them again. That was a few years ago.

Just what, if any, legislation affects domestic CCTV use of CCTV? Can anyone enlighten me?

Not sure about the UK, but here (US) you can record video on your property, with pretty much no limitations.

Audio is a different story - usually you can't record audio without openly posting signs about it. Seems odd to me.

Here you can pretty much do anything you want, even if there is a law they are rarely ever enforced

but i follow all laws ofcourse