WizardHawk

Pelco Spectra backbox compatibility

I know this may be deemed too entry level of a question, but I've searched for the answers everywhere and found nothing explicit.

We have several Pelco PTZ's in our building. Some are older II's and a few III's. We have a mix of backboxes because of this. We already know you can put a Spectra III into a II backbox (yes, not recommended due to how the camera lines up with air path but it will work). You cannot run a II in a III backbox because that would leave no fan. We ordered a III backbox to replace one we suspected was having problems and got a IV by mistake. Does anyone know if you can run a Spectra III in a IV backbox? I know it snaps in, but are there any issues with this setup?

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Spectra III and IV dome drives and back boxes can basically be interchanged freely. That is unless you want to take advantage of some of the more unusual features of the Spectra IV SE series back boxes:

Spectra IV:"Spectra IV SE back box options include the following models: environmental in-ceiling (ideal for outdoor soffits), indoor in-ceiling, indoor surface mount, and standard and environmental pendant. The Spectra IV SE Series can also be ordered with heavy-duty, pressurized, and stainless steel back box options (refer to the appropriate product specification sheets for more information).

Each back box model features built-in back box memory to store camera and location-specific dome settings, including labels, presets, patterns, and zones. A passive UTP circuit is located on the door assembly for convenient video transmission through twisted pair wire. For added flexibility, Pelco fiber modules can also be attached to the door assembly for transmission over single-mode or multimode fiber."

Spectra III:"Spectra III Series back box options include an environmental inceiling model that is ideal for outdoor soffits, an indoor surface mount, indoor in-ceiling model and pendant styles for standard and environmental installations. All environmental in-ceiling models meet IP66 and NEMA Type 4X standards."

Note the addition of memory, UTP capability and optional fiber modules in the Spectra IV back box.

Thank you for the prompt replies.

We had waited on that backbox for a while due to the weather issues and found out they sent us the entirely wrong unit. We needed a pendant III and got a recessed IV, but were too pressed for time to wait on a return. I pulled the guts out of the IV and put them into a II pendant we had and can report the Spectra III we had for that unit is alive and working normally this afternoon. Had to remove what appears to be a wire guide of some kind from the inside of that II as it prevented the door from closing, but otherwise no issues in the swap.

I've read a few of your posts survtech and also found that it is getting harder to justify going to pelco for any out of warranty work. We sent back two Spectra II's to pelco a few months back and they told us over $1,300 each for repair! Well of course you would have to be crazy to pay that much for a repair so we took them back. Found a service contact in WI that fixed them both for under $300 each. One of these days I'll work up the nerve to crack open one myself and try fixing things like rings etc (things you know what part is bad without test equipment) in house. I have browsed the site you always point people to and will for sure check them out next time we have a backbox issue or want to dabble in camera repair.

We replaced this last backbox because we had two cameras fry while hooked up to it. Both were III's and died from apparent over heating even though both had good working fans on them. Tested the power to the units and it was 23.8 volts at both ends so we figured it had to be something with the power supply on the backbox unit.

New unit is working far cooler than the one we pulled, but then it has that environmental blower on it. Not sure how much cooler that keeps the cameras.

+1 on the thanks for the parts supply tip to Survtech, I just got a replacement 35x D/N Hitachi imager block for a Spectra IV for $250 from Time Lapse Supply (Pelco wanted $900 for the part+labor).

Replacing the module took less than ten minutes... Time well spent!

You're both very welcome.

For West Coasters (and others?) who need CCTV equipment, including PTZs, repaired but don't want to send them to the OEM, you may also want to check out Moore's Electronics (http://www.mooreselectronics.com/). We used them to repair Pelco Spectra domes after getting disgusted with Pelco factory service and before we started repairing our own in-house. They're in Tiburon, CA (near San Francisco).