JNAPS

Stand alone DVR HDD

gotta remember even the new IDEs are only 30 mb/sec read speed, the 2 or 3 year old satas around 55-75, and the new sata blues around 130 or so. Only ones I had issues with though are the greens of any sort including the AV models. Even a slow 5400rpm USB drive had no problems when I was troubleshooting a green drive in a Geo DVR. So shouldnt be the drive .. but never say never .. is it noisy or quiet? Ive had HDDs come damaged through shipping before, one reason I like to get the retail drives when I can, the packaging is much better - was this OEM or Retail?

Another thing to consider is, if the hard drive died, it could have been damaged from a brownout or other power issue, and other parts of the DVR also could have been damaged.

gotta remember even the new IDEs are only 30 mb/sec read speed, the 2 or 3 year old satas around 55-75, and the new sata blues around 130 or so. Only ones I had issues with though are the greens of any sort including the AV models. Even a slow 5400rpm USB drive had no problems when I was troubleshooting a green drive in a Geo DVR. So shouldnt be the drive .. but never say never .. is it noisy or quiet? Ive had HDDs come damaged through shipping before, one reason I like to get the retail drives when I can, the packaging is much better - was this OEM or Retail?

Another thing to consider is, if the hard drive died, it could have been damaged from a brownout or other power issue, and other parts of the DVR also could have been damaged.

I'm happy with the way it's working now. The old HD did start to act up when the power went out one day. I should get a battery backup on it. It's pretty quiet. I think the little fan is louder. I got it on sale at the local Best buys here retail. I don't have good luck buying online..

What do you know about illuminators? I'm gonna need to look into one. I want to get more light in the driveway.. Even with a flood light my camera's not working all that great. It has 36 LED's and they all work. Do they get weak, or just burn out or both?

Today is a week and a day since I put the new HD in and it's working great. I've been pretty much running it 24/7 and as of right now it's only at 50%.. Looks like I'll get two weeks of non stop recording before it rewrites. With the 80G I was only getting close to like 3 days. So I'm very happy with this so far and thanks again for all your help.