Sign in to follow this  
Serfio

Vivotek fd8161 vs Acti TCM-3511

I'm looking for an indoor dome camera with ir built-in.

I'm looking for some night time video of Vivotek fd8161 and Acti TCM-3511.

I saw personally something about vivotek and night-shoot seems with a lot of noise..

Which one's give better night image?

are there other dome ir camera for this price range with better performance?

thanks

I have no experience with the Vivotek camera you mention but I've installed many of the TCM3511's.

Experience over all has been frustrating but could be because I expect too much.

If using the default settings that Acti has with this camera the night time shot is pretty good however it is useless. Someone walking by the camera at night will be a blur and this is due to the 1/5 shutter that is default. If you are simply looking for monitoring then ok but for identification forget it. Now set the shutter to 1/30 and you will get a ton less motion blur but a lot more noise as the gain needs to be pumped up in order to get that visual.

I haven't found the ultimate night time cmos ip cam yet but if this is important try something with a ccd chip instead but be prepared to pay...

How come you are recommending that he look at something with worse specs than the camera he is considering (FD8161)?

FD8161 vs FD8134

-1/3.2" vs 1/4" CMOS

-Auto iris vs No Auto Iris

-3-9mm vari-focal vs 3.6mm fixed

-1600x1200 vs 1280x800

-audio capability vs no audio capability

am i missing something? because im also considering the FD8161 (when i can get my lazy butt in gear and find time to *finally* upgrade my analog system to IP )

I've already seen this camera but the main issue is the fixed lens so I'm thinking the fd8161..

However I'm in doubt with acti, 3RDIGLBL seems have no luck with them

Anyone have a good experience with acti?

I have installed many 4201, 1231 and 7411s. Most recently I have used the TCM-4201 and with a firmware upgrade I have been very happy with the camera at that price point. 1.3 MP, POE and audio there really is nothing else at that price level.

Also the new TCM-7811 looks promising. http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Fixed_Dome_Camera/TCM-7811

I have a TCM7811 installed and setup as 640x480. The images are uploading to a website in 5sec intervals. I sent a PM to a couple forum members of the address already. The camera is not bad at all. To work with it's cumbersome because it's not easy to plug the cat cable into the tight corner they put connector at but the whole assembly comes apart with a couple screws to make things a little easier. The built in ir's can be turned off and they are in my case because they would have been useless anyhow.

Send me a pm if you want the address. Not sure how long I'll have it setup but it should be up and running for at least another couple weeks.

Don't get me wrong about the TCM3511, it's just that in low to zero light I find it very noisy but I heard the same about Vivotek (never tried it though). Using default settings the image is pretty nice but the shutter is too slow to make it usable for foot traffic identity unless the person stops for a brief second and looks right at the camera. The shutter can be set to a faster setting but there is a tremendous amount of noise on the screen and I find that the noise pulsates (I've complained about this with Acti). For the price I guess this is what you can expect and my customer is happy enough with them (most important part) but because of the noise on the screen the NVR records all the cameras all night long because of motion. There is no night time profile motion setting with the TCM cameras "yet" like with the ACM series but Acti is working on this and I can't wait for it to come available.

Don't discount the camera totally just don't expect outstanding night time performance.

thanks for the info/help

just another stupid question: the smoke dome cover cause loss of image quality (night and day)?

(PS. can I have a link to the TCM7811?)

thanks for the info/help

just another stupid question: the smoke dome cover cause loss of image quality (night and day)?

(PS. can I have a link to the TCM7811?)

It won't cause loss of image quality, per say, but it will let less light into the lens, which is not really what you want at night time if you already have minimal lighting.

During the daytime, though, there's no issue with the smoked cover.

I have smoked covers on my domes, and here are some night shots. I do have some lighting outside though. So that helps a bit.

deck_screenshot2-1.jpg

driveway_screenshot2-1.jpg

The driveway shot is not great because I have a post light messing with the lens. I need to do something about that one of these days.

But here is a daytime shot. All of the outdoor cams have smoked covers.

full_screenshot4-1.jpg