jxk716

Getting the DVR onto the TV

I have 2 BNC video outputs on the DVR; one is in use sending the DVR signal to the TV's auxiliary video input; the other is open. I would like to run coax from the remaining BNC output to another household TV that has a cable box hooked up to it. If I purchased something like a cable A/B Switch so that I can watch regular cable TV and switch off to watch the live cameras through the DVR do you think it would work?

This is what I had in mind

147406_1.jpg

There is a problem with this... The video coming out of the BNC outputs is Composite video - the signal the TV expects on the cable (F-Connector) connection is RF (radio). You need a device to modulate the composite signal onto an empty channel on your TV (converts composite to RF on an analog channel).

Here's how I would do it. Get a modulator/injector like this:

DVD647-1.jpg

Connect the output from the cable box to the 'ANT IN', connect the TV to the 'TO TV' output. Connect the BNC output from the DVR to the Composite input with one of these:

BNC20220SKU31132-1.jpg

Then choose channel 3 or 4, whichever is empty. Choose 75 ohms. You can also connect left/right audio as well.

This pretty much just injects your composite signal onto an empty channel. Then just add this channel on your TV, and switch to it whenever you wish to watch the cameras!

As luck would have it I already have one connected to the secondary TV I want the cameras on but the DVD player is connected to the video in on the modulator. So I probably can not get by with using a splitter or RCA Y cable to accept both right? I am thinking it would work as long as the DVD player is off but as soon as it is on there will be 2 live video feeds and that can't be good.

Those RCA Y cables are meant for the RCA audio, but splitting two video sources together and just keeping one off at a time should work.

My TV does this at my house, although its built in. The DVD comes in via S-Video, and we have an old VCR going in one of the composite inputs. If I have the VCR on, then turn on the DVD as well, the picture goes crazy. If I turn off the VCR, the DVD video is just fine. They are obviously connected internally.

That AV switch from your first post, plus the modulator from Adam's post, will combine to do the job: run from the DVR to the video-in port on the modulator, then from the "To TV" jack to one of the inputs on the switcher. Run the DVD player's output to the other jack on the switch, then run the switch output to the TV.

I'd set both DVD and modulator to output on the same channel, so you don't have to flip channels.