Skookumcam

Help needed - To boot or not to boot?!

I have what I think is a TmVideo TP8616 embedded DVR made by Shenzhen Tm Video Tech Co. that will not boot-up. Symptoms: can only pwr-on using main pwr switch in rear.Pwr supply lights up for 2-3 seconds and starts to turn cooling fan - then goes into sleep-like mode - no nothing!Indicator lights on front panel show pwr and alarm. No output. There seems to be a reset button on the lower circuit board. When held down and pwr'd up DVR will keep running fan but no output or boot. If I unplug HDD pwr and pwr on w/button held down for 2 seconds DVR will continue to run but still no output. Remote seems to be working by indicator light but still no output or startup. What do you think?: HDD failure?hardware reset?tamper alarm?failed PW tries?sleep mode?tamperfault lockout?old age?end of life? Can anyone help?! Thanks greatly in advance! Scatching head... Great forum! Pix included below.

P3031697.JPG.d509fa347358b7360eb3aa45bd55ef86.JPG

P3031711.JPG.241a2f94651a2d16678596a135e93c8e.JPG

Caps fine as well as pwr supply. I guess my description of the problem wasn't very good. The fact is, is that I purchased the DVR from an online auction recently and the seller says it was working fine when they took it off line. It is my belief that I need to reset the alarm on the panel before the DVR will boot. But I don't know how to do it. I have the manual but it's in Chinenglish as most technical manuals written with these things are and it dosen't cover this problem or the correct procedure for a reset. Does anyone know how to correctly reset this box with the cover removed, ie. hardware reset? Thanks again...

remove the top board from the lower board... you're looking for the jumper to reset... im guessing by your post that you may have already looked for/tried this??

maybe a flux problem... if all fails try running a heat gun around the cpu/gpu's for 5mins

...just reading your post again, I have no doubt the seller is genuine and that the DVR was actually working before shipment. The DVR has been powered-up and running 24/7 for god knows how many years, in god knows what enviroment, and then it is suddenly switched off and shipped out. It will more than likely shrivel-up like a sundried tomato and cause the flux around the gpu/cpu's to be intermittent.

I learnt my lesson years ago, I only ever buy 2nd hand equipment from somebody trustworthy that I know who installed it or something I installed myself and hasn't been *ed with for some reason or another.

I hope you paid little for this and I hope it resurrects back from the dead for you!

G'luck.

The fact is, is that I purchased the DVR from an online auction recently and the seller says it was working fine when they took it off line.

The fact is, is that I purchased the DVR from an online auction recently and the seller says it was working fine when they took it off line.

I see that there's an IDE HDD there... You could call the sellers bluff and see what, from when, is on the HDD!