Numb-nuts

DVR Alarm facility and how to utilize it?

I have been wondering about the use of the alarm inputs outputs on my DVR and how and what situations

I might use them to best advantage with my system. I am forever tinkering with my setup because I just love

tinkering.

Could someone please advise in general about how best (and in what situations) the alrm input/output facility might be used to good advantage?

Can they be used to trigger PTZ to look at and record a particular preset?

Yeah, lots of possibilities, depending on the specific DVR. Some will let you trigger PTZ presets, most allow you to kick a camera into a higher-quality recording mode (eg. going from normal recording at CIF/1fps/motion to 4CIF/30fps for as long as the alarm input is active). Some can send an email or SMS. Some, it might just be as simple as switching the live display to a specified camera (eg. you could have a quad-view switch to show only a door camera when that door is opened, then switch back afterward).

I am not sure yet as until I setup my PTZ and the presets the menus aren't accessible.

I will try the operating manual as soon as I have done that in a couple of weeks.

I hope that is something my DVR will allow but I will have to look at.

I know mine will send emails or SMS (providing a SMS service is available )

For example, when would it be appropriate to change alarm activated recording quality?

Regarding trigger devices what I think you are saying is any intruder alarm type trigger

can be used is that correct and in the same way the outputs like lights and buzzers can be triggered too?

For example, when would it be appropriate to change alarm activated recording quality?

Whenever you want to trigger higher quality?

Really, anything that achieves your needs is "appropriate". You could rig a panic switch that kicks up higher-quality recording. You could trigger it from a motion sensor, or a fire alarm/smoke detector. Depends on your needs!

Regarding trigger devices what I think you are saying is any intruder alarm type trigger can be used is that correct and in the same way the outputs like lights and buzzers can be triggered too?

Most DVRs' input alarms just look for the input port being connected to the system ground... so anything that can create a connection across two pins can trip it. Output relays on alarms or sensors, pushbutton switches... you name it.

What DVR do you have numbnuts? How many alarm inputs/outputs??

If an alarm, lets say a PIR, is triggered you can program the DVR/PTZ to turn the PTZ to a preset. The DVR(if capable) could then send you the image of what triggered the alarm.

If you can trigger alarms using the web browser you could close your curtains when you're away from home, play a recording of a barking dog etc. etc... endless possibilities!