easyliving

Compatibility of 1480 and 8.3 Software

I have a Geovision system based on a 1480 card with 16 cameras which was installed in my house. It is running software v8.2. I want to use the iphone app and I believe I need to upgrade to 8.3.

Here's the problem. My dealer says that the card I have won't work with 8.3 and that only the newer cards do. (It has been installed less than a year) I find this a bit weird. Does this mean I need to swap it for a 1480A? Or is he wrong? Is it possible that he sold me a counterfeit card and this is the reason to avoid upgrading? (I am in Argentina so this is not unheard of here).

Is there any reason a 1480 card would not work with the newer software? I don't want to break my system so I am hesitant to just try it...

[The machine is relatively low spec with a dual core 5200 2.5Ghz, Radeon HD 4350 and 1Gb of Ram]

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this for me.

According to Geovision and our distributor, all LEGITIMATE versions of the 1120, 1240 and 1480 are compatible with Ver 8.3X. We've upgraded several older systems from 8.2 to 8.3.4 without problems.

hmmm... is there any utility to check the card to see if it is legitimate?

Alternatively, if I just go ahead and upgrade, am I likely to make my system inoperable?

I am off to U.S. so I may just replace the card myself if it is not legit...but of course I really don't want the expense if I can avoid it.

One way is to look at how much you originally paid for it, clones are much much cheaper.

You can always image the system, then if you have problems, restore that image back.

Be careful,

One of my clients had an existing 1480 card (in australia) on 8.2 geo system.

After I upgraded the systems to 8.3.3 geo started giving the error "counterfeit card".

Upgrading to 8.3 generally will update the card firmware to 1.55 (from memory).

This is where the counterfeit cards will start to bug out, from the firmware update, which was part of the 8.3 driver install routine. (I was going from 1.42 to 1.55)

Now we are chasing the previous dodgy cctv installer to replace with a 1480 geo card as was invoiced.

He isn't happy we caught onto his scam, now its going to cost him $1200 AUD.

So in short - sounds like a counterfeit card.

Dont do drugs kids & dont F*k with counterfeit geovision cards lol

Well I sent pics of the card to Geovision and they confirmed my suspicions... it's counterfeit. Now I have to confront the dealer.

Thanks for all the help. I'm off to the US and will buy a new card from a reputable dealer and at a cheaper price.

I was thinking of the 1480A which is newer and I assume better...