pipesnoel

cctv as a Digital tv channel.

Hello, new to this forum. With most residential MDU's (multy dwelling units) having an analog cctv -> cable channel injection system (ie. analog channel 59) usually reserved in many cable systems for building security. I was wondering if anyone has had much experiance switching the system to a digital injection system (ie: channel 399 digital.) if available by the cable provider. It seems to be a bit of an issue now days, being that most DVR or SD cable converter boxes (ie:motorola DCT 700 or DVR 3416) no longer have analog tuners in them. Any advise would be hugely appreciated....Thanks..

This device will technically do what you want:

http://www.computermodules.com/broadcast-systems/ucm4540.shtml

But the problem is the digital systems are way more complex than the old analog systems. Most of the cable boxes today need to be pre-authorized for each channel they receive and/or they also check with the head-end to make sure they are authorized to tune a particular channel.

Also, with the older analog systems, each channel corresponded to particular frequency range. With digital cable and the QAM modulation, channel 399 isn't necessarily a specific frequency. So you need to know absolutely what frequency range is not being used by the cable system, notch that out of the main cable feed, modulate the camera signal, inject it, and then work with the cable co. to make sure the boxes know how/where to find your in-house channel.

Your best bet would be to start by contacting the cable provider, they may be able to do this easier than you think, but I doubt you're going to be able to totally do it without some involvement from them.

Thank-you NotoriousBRK,

That was fast and extremely helpful. The UCM4540: Digital QAM Modulator/Upconverter seems like the right tool for the job. It appears to be full digital, which will be great, the only downside I can see to this is the lack of dual transmission (Dig and Ang) until the analog is full fazed out. That being said it's a hell of a lot better than a 2-way split or RF/AV patch job to see analog ch.59. Notorious also keep your eyes out for this; http://www.aartech.ca/scfm-59-logenex-digital-rf-modulator.html This is the old, somewhat troublesome unit, but I spoke to an engineer today at Logenex who "states" the new FUll dig supported with analog backup version goes into field testing April with a hopeful launch date in July/Aug. Currently they state it will probably retail for 2000-2500 CAD, with a somewhat hopeful SRP of around $1500 by launch. We'll see.

As far as contacting the cable co for a possible free QAM, I will try tomorrow, lucky for me I work for them.....

Thanks again