EasyGion

Outdoor camera selection question(s).

I'm looking to build a small relatively low cost security system to keep and eye on our horses particular and the rest of the property in general. I've tried this once in the past and the cameras held up for a while but then just died. It was a valuable learning experience. I leaned that the bullet cameras with the built in IR attract bugs, so if you want to sleep you have to turn off the alerts at night when the moths are flying about. They also don't project the light nearly as far as advertised.

The installation environment is in western Washington state, in the Puget Sound convergence zone. What that means is, it rains - a lot. The record at my house is over 100 consecutive days of rain. The humidity is high, in the 92% + range. The property is setup in such a way that the cameras will be exposed to direct sun light in the mornings, depending on the season, because of the low angle of the sun.

So here are my questions:

1.) Are you better off with box cameras in enclosures or the dome cameras? I would think the box with an enclosure would be better because it has a visor.

2.) Are the dome or box w/enclosure better in the high humidity environment?

The CNB cameras judging from the reviews here and elsewhere seem like a good fit feature wise, I'm just concerned about environments issues.

3.) Are the CNB box cameras as good as the dome cameras?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm open to suggestions.

I have 14 CNB VBM 24 VFs installed on the outside walls of a building in NE Pennsylvania and found them to be very reliable in all kinds of weather. One feature I like, at least with the cameras I have, are the video and power connector exit the camera's back through a sealed small hole making it difficult for moisture to get in. I did add PVC visors which helps with morning sun in the winter and also helps shield rain year round. The picture was taken from a VBM about 6 hours after a steady rain began .

Here is a topic that may help:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20982

842055857_RainPic.jpg.ad268a7878250e0c63ae38c6b215b85b.jpg

Thanks for the response! Was the PVC cover something you made or was it something designed for the camera?

Thanks.