Numb-nuts

BNC Crimp plugs, which type is best?

I was wondering, from the point of view of both professionals and amateurs

which type of BNC connecter do you prefer, from a reliability standpoint.

1. The traditional solder on plug,

2. The 3 pce crimp plug or

3. The newer compression fitting plugs

4. the screw on BNC

5. The snap lock type, (no tools required except the stripper)

I had a legacy crimp tool from my days of fitting two way radios into vehicles, so quite naturally I considered using the 3 pce crimps. In the days when I was using them, BNCs almost all came from either AMP (Tyco now) or Transradio and were of excellent quality.

The BNC's I ca buy now are really poor quality and fail in all sorts of ways I had never experienced in fact the only part that never failed was the center pin. My crimp tool is a Nielson Radbourne and cost an arm and a leg at the time and made reliable crimps.

I have today tried the newer compression fitting BNC and found it to be easy and solid to fit. Obviously I checked it for shorts and continuity and it was fine but just how reliable are they? They are certainly not cheap that's for sure, they seem of nice quality.

I am staying with 3 pce crimp plugs but will never buy the cheap ebay offerings, I would rather pay more for a british or American made plug that is good quality that pay pennies for a plug that falls apart in your hand. Tis is because I already have an expensive crimper tool.

Again I will point out that I am a keen amateur not a professional.

Good answer Rory!

I always LOL a little when this subjects gets brought up... and it does quite frequently given the industry.

There's no shortage of hard headed opinions in any profession...but at the end of the day we all take pride in what we do and we get the job done with what's availible to us.

(But for the record, I tend to embrace new technology. When I must use coax, compression fittings are a no brainer for me. In my opinion, they are the newest and most practical connectors I've used to-date. )

I apologize that it did not occur to me to check if this question had been asked before.

I should have searched to see if indeed it had but I can now see it has and several times too.

It's a fair comment that you use what's most available at the time, but I am talking about your ideal preference

in a given situation. I have to admit to liking the pressure fittings very much but I have always liked the 3 pce crimp plugs until I started to experience the cheap chinese offerings, I am not a professional so I would not

benefit from buying a new tool and switching to the new pressure plugs. Instead, I will stay with crimps and seek out better quality ones rather than the rubbish flooding the market now.

What are your reasons for preferring one type over another?

I have just found a source for Amphenol, Tyco and Multicomp BNC plugs. They are quite a bit more expensive than the ones on ebay, but are likely to be far less troublesome. I would use them with my favorite treatment of glue lined heat shrink tube to seal and act as a strain relief. I always use 3:1 ratio shrink as it is more substantial and can grip onto the cable tightly.

Strangely, when I used the RG58 and BNC crimps they seemed to grip far better than the RG59 with BNC crimps, I am not sure why this might be. I can only assume it was because I was using high quality crimp plugs which were supplied by my then employer" Storno".

Anyone wanting a source for quality connectors in the UK can try Farnell UK. but they are not cheap by any means.

Crimp BNC's for me, I also get an enormous sense of well-being when I use boots, same thing when I use RJ45 caps, just makes me feel like I'm doing a 'proper' job!!!

Strangely, when I used the RG58 and BNC crimps they seemed to grip far better than the RG59 with BNC crimps, I am not sure why this might be. I can only assume it was because I was using high quality crimp plugs which were supplied by my then employer" Storno".

FYI, RG58 is not appropriate for CCTV... wrong impedance.

RJ45's

???

RJ45 caps - the little plastic covers of various colours that go over the RJ45 connectors(crystals)

capsvm-1.jpg

BNC boots - the rubber/plastic sleeves that go over the crimped part of the BNC

boots-1.png

He's talking about the connectors, not the caps.

It's crimps all the way with me, I was just saying I like using the boots n caps for a professional finish!

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, I used to work in two way radio and we used RG58 and BNCs, PL259s N types etc etc and that is why I have a legacy crimp tool from that time, which is made to crimp both RG58 and RG59 crimps. Just thought I'd clear that confusion up.

He's talking about the connectors, not the caps.

It's crimps all the way with me, I was just saying I like using the boots n caps for a professional finish!

I would agree with this statement cable boots do make a clean professional finish, and I generally use the black ones but yellow ( the appropriate color) with the CCTV applications.

When I tried out the pressure fit plugs, I had to use glue lines heat shrink although I believe it's probably not necessary if all the promises of the manufacturers are to be believed, I just thought it worth doing.

Illogically perhaps, I don't always do things because it's essential, but often just because I like to.

You are quite right, RG58 is 50 ohm (suitable for radio-telephone applications) whereas RG59 is 75 ohm and suitable for CCTV applications and the termination plugs must be designated to one cable or the other or they will not be suitable also.

Not being a fully trained technician, I am not sure what makes it so, but I have always understood it to be so.

I have always considered it good sense to just accept what those that know advise me.

I just ordered some more BNC crimp plugs This time though I have not been such a cheapskate and

ordered Tyco branded BNC crimps from Farnell . I am fed up to death of cheap unbranded BNCs failing and always

at the worst time. I have a good quality crimp tool, it makes no sense at all to buy rubbish crimp plugs.

I am done with cheap, from now on I don't mind paying for quality.

I already bought cheap crimp plugs and it cost me half a day's work to go and replace a single plug.

I saved a 20 or 30 pence per plug but just one of those cost me a whole morning in time.

I might save £10 or even £20, but if one or more of the plugs fails and cases me a morning's work

I lost a lot more than I saved. I now decided to buy only high branded plugs and buy them even though I know I can get cheaper plugs about 1/8th the price. I buy Tyco or Greenpar etc and I have never had a single one of them fail on me.

This is now my policy and it's set in stone, that is until Greenpar and Tyco or other high branded makers start to supply the waterproof plugs then I'll use those but until then...