pambrose

Need to interface IP servers with Coaxial Call Boxes

I have a large system that incorporates both IP server based cameras and straight coaxial runs into the same DVRs. The Coaxial runs are split with a T junction immediately before the DVR input and then run into a very large call-up system with only coaxial inputs. Obviously the IP based cameras are all on the network and are accessed by the DVR.

This is a problem because if I want to view an IP based camera I can only do so through the software on the DVR or an interfacing computer. This prevents us from viewing these feeds from our multiple callup stations which use the legacy equipment.

Is there a 'break out box' which I could place in our DVR room to stay connected to a given IP server and covert it back into 4 coxial outputs, thus allowing me to patch it into the older callup system?

I'm just getting my feet wet in a very large system so I apologize if this seems a little basic.

Thanks for your help!

Depends on the cameras. What you are looking for is an IP decoder, Acti makes one for their cameras, ACD-3100, one video channel per decoder, but only Acti cameras.

Ip-analog video conversion is a weak point for network video solutions, sometimes it's easiest to run the client software on a small PC with a composite video output card or converter.

So you want a box that can take images from a megapixel IP camera, downsample the image to a standard analog video resolution (~720x480), and then output a standard analog signal which you can then feed into your legacy call box equipment? If you can even find such a thing, it's likely to be hideously expensive, especially if you need a lot of them.

This might be an opportunity to ditch the legacy equipment altogether and make all of your cameras viewable over the Internet. As daunting as that may sound, it might be easier and cheaper than making your IP cameras viewable on analog equipment.

Thank you! Once I knew what I was asking for, I was able to have Optiview tell me that they "Don't have any such animal".

I realize I'm trying to drag new technology into old technology. However, the network resources necessary to view the individual ip video streams (as opposed to simply mirroring the controlling pc's screen of 32 feeds) on any given pc are restricting me. Our IS department would throw fits when we choke the network by pulling live feeds and playback across in the middle of the operating day!

Thanks again for the response!

Thank you! Once I knew what I was asking for, I was able to have Optiview tell me that they "Don't have any such animal".

I realize I'm trying to drag new technology into old technology. However, the network resources necessary to view the individual ip video streams (as opposed to simply mirroring the controlling pc's screen of 32 feeds) on any given pc are restricting me. Our IS department would throw fits when we choke the network by pulling live feeds and playback across in the middle of the operating day!

So what's stopping you from running (a) separate network cable(s) just for the surveillance feeds?

Since "they don't have any such animal," coming into the New Millennium is looking like your only option.