sofianazionale

How to connect siren to DVR ?

Hi All, I'm a newbie and really need help to connect siren to DVR. My DVR has 8 sensor input and 1 alarm output, i supposed it should be + and -. When i directly connect the wires ( two wires siren) to the output port, there was no sound at all. Than i use external power supply and try a relay too, but still no sound.

I'm sure there's no problem with the siren, because when i connect it to alarm control panel, it working well.

Thanks...

Probably the siren is expecting more voltage and current than the DVR can output. Look up the specs of the DVR, it should say how much it will put out.

Possibly, you will need to wire a relay to the DVR output, which switches power from a wall adapter to the siren.

Thanks. But i already try a relay. The relay has + and - port (for power i guess), and NC, NO, and Com port. I connect the + and - to the power source, but i'm little confused where to put the black and red wire from the siren. So, i connect the red wire into NO/NC port and the black wire to Com. Still no sound. Should i put a resistor in the siren like i did when installing alarm sensor ?

Than i try without a relay. from the power source i plug the + wire to + port in DVR alarm output, and the - wire to the siren, than to - port in DVR alarm output. Still no sound.

What's the exact make and model of this system? Most WILL NOT supply power on the alarm output; it's just a relay output.

Try running the power supply - wire to the siren's - wire, then the power supply + to the output +, and the output - to the siren +.

I assume it's a 12VDC siren... are you using a 12VDC power supply? Does the siren work if you connect power to it directly?

You will need a low current relay, like an ELK-912 relay for 12 volts. Here's a diagram for some basic hookups.

SRFile2011_4_1_6_33_3_135-1.jpg

Thanks. But i already try a relay. The relay has + and - port (for power i guess), and NC, NO, and COM port. I connect the + and - to the power source, but i'm little confused where to put the black and red wire from the siren. So, i connect the red wire into NO/NC port and the black wire to COM. Still no sound. Should i put a resistor in the siren like i did when installing alarm sensor ?

Than i try without a relay. from the power source i plug the + wire to + port in DVR alarm output, and the - wire to the siren, than to - port in DVR alarm output. Still no sound.

Does the relay operate ("click") on alarm when you connect it to the Alarm Output port? If so, leave it connected there, then connect the (+) lead of your power supply to the COM of the relay, the (+) lead of the siren to the NO of the relay and tie the (-) of the power supply to the (-) of the siren.

If the relay doesn't operate on alarm, it's possible that the Alarm Output of the DVR is only a switched contact. Check your DVR manual to be sure. If the Alarm Output is just a relay closure, you can eliminate the separate relay and connect the (+) of the power supply to one leg of the Alarm Output and the (+) lead of the siren to the other, then tie the Power Supply and siren (-) leads together.

Careful with the second option, if the Alarm Output is anything but a contact closure, connecting an external power supply to it can damage the DVR. READ YOUR MANUAL FIRST! Especially be aware of any voltage, current or power limits listed for the Alarm Output.

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded other DVR manual similar with i have. it suggests same method. i connect the (+) from power supply to the alarm port, the (-) from PS to siren (-), and siren (+) to another alarm port. n the siren sounds loud .

for the sensor input, i installed 5 motion detectors. and i'm planning to move one of my panic button from alarm panel to the dvr. the panic button have only two wires. what i have in my mind is to install the panic button similar to the siren ? am i right ?

I have an Oyn-X DVR and there is 2 ways of connecting a siren

If the siren sounds when it receives power, then you connect the DVR, siren and power supply in a series circuit.

If you have a Master Blaster 127 siren like me, you connect the 12v relay of the siren to the alarm connections.

It is best to refer to your DVR's Instruction Manual for help on what connection is what. I hope this has helped!