rory

Does 128 way multiview make any sense?

Like what size monitor could handle it, as far as a security officer being able to make anything out?

What if on motion the video window with motion became bigger then went back in after 3 seconds or so .. similar to the keypad buttons on the ipad when you click them .. for example.

Anyway ... anyone using anything with 128 way multiview right now . and if so what kind of computer is powering it?

That's insane, the images would be tiny.

Keep in mind that even the biggest monitor will still have limited resolution (1080p is still only 1920x1080), so you'll still have limited res per-picture, they'll just all be really big and blocky.

I mean, let's do the math: a 12x12 grid would be 144 separate images... each one could be a maximum of 160x90 pixels, if divided evenly across a single entire monitor. You'd need a multiple-monitor setup for this to be viable.

What if you had a monitor wall or something, maybe big like the one in Times Square

I've seen 32-way (well, 36 - 6x6 matrix) on a Vigil system and even that is getting close to being too small per-camera.

I do 36 all the time, and tested my 64 way view for 4 geo DVRs ... though that is small its still handy if you are up close to the monitor .. at distance its useless though. Figured need at least a 27" for 32 to be "okay" Even on a big screen LCD like 36-42 they have, 64 was too small sitting a distance from it. I guess another way is to just do a multiview sequence, scan from one to the next every 3-5 seconds.

though that is small its still handy if you are up close to the monitor ..
"If you continue doing that, you'll go blind!"

Like what size monitor could handle it, as far as a security officer being able to make anything out?

What if on motion the video window with motion became bigger then went back in after 3 seconds or so .. similar to the keypad buttons on the ipad when you click them .. for example.

Anyway ... anyone using anything with 128 way multiview right now . and if so what kind of computer is powering it?

I have designed and built many control rooms with many hundreds of cameras on view.

For any practical use the most we would consider is a 4 x 3 view on a 46" LCD. You can get more if you use 70" rear projection.

A number of things that you need to consider.

First is health and safety, how close should the Operator sit and for how long?

Second is the ergonomics, make the pictures too small and attention span will reduce, so how long do you expect the operator to view the screen(s) without a break? How reliant are you on the Operator seeing an 'exception' on the screens? We have put together a number of video walls that are effectively installed for the 'wow' factor but have little operational benefit.

Third is the change in aspect ratios of CCTV cameras over the life of the kit you install. Will the plan based on 4:3 aspect ratio still work when you are using a mix of 4:3 or 16:9?

How will you display megapixel cameras that offer images larger than 5Mp?

Hope this helps.

Ilkie