Soundy

Digital Watchdog VMAX16

Inherited one of these recently... doesn't start up, hoping someone here might have an idea.

I plug in the power... I get a brief beep and the power LEDs flicker on for a second, then go out. And that's it.

Tried another power supply... nada. Checked the voltage on the mainboard just downstream from the power connector: solid 12.06VDC.

Any other ideas?

Tried without the HDD?

Any leaking capacitors on the board?

Check any other cables that could be shorting out.

Board could just be fried.

Any idea how old it is? They have a five year warranty on them. I've installed a few of these and never had that problem before. If it's in the warranty, give them a call - 866-446-3595.

Five years?? Nice... I thought I saw two years on the website. I'll give that a try... can't find a manufacture date on it anywhere, but the store it came out of is barely a year old. Thanks, Chris. As I recall, the previous owner was trying to find warranty support going through his original installer, but got nowhere... I sold him a refurbished Vigil and took this thing away, figured it would be worth at least a try to get going.

Rory - yep, unplugged everything including the drive. Blown caps was the first thing I looked for - far as I can see, everything is intact. Pulled the CMOS battery for a good half-hour or so as well (no sign of a reset jumper).

It's funny... if it's been unplugged for a while, then when I plug it in, it kind of half-beeps, half-buzzes for a couple seconds while the power LEDs (one on the front panel, two on the board itself) just flicker... then it all goes out. Unplugging and replugging gets just a quick beep and one flicker of the LEDs.

Really looks like a power-related issue, but there's no visible physical problems (nothing blown or smoked, no obvious cold solder joints), and I have tried another PSU (stock one is a 12VDC, 5A switching unit).

Alright, called them... tech was very helpful, he says it should be five years on this unit. Gave me a ticket number, I did the online RMA form... will see where it goes from here. Thanks, Chris!

No problem. I visited these guys at ISC West and they were very helpful there too. Nothing spectacular, but a decent low cost DVR. Especially for free, right Soundy! Glad I could help.