Sign in to follow this  
jisun126

Acti acm-1231 upgrading firmware problem.

Need help guys.

I successfully upgraded to latest firmware for the acm-1231 through the ip utility software.

I was in the middle of upgrading my second acm-1231, seeing that more than 15 minute passed I clicked on the link that states the ip number of the camera to pop the browser to view the camera all the while the status says (firmware upgrading in progress)

*Why did I click on it? Well the first camera status hung at "firmware upgrading in progress" for like 20 minutes so I thought it hung. When I clicked on the ip link it took me to the video screen so. I assumed this would happen with the second camera but this happened.

And its said splash screen of the camera said "Error! it is in progress of upgrading firmware now"

Then I took a look at the ip utility status and now says "Upgrade failed"

did me clicking on the ip address to view the camera interrupt it?

and if so I am sure I screwed up the firmware, now every time I log into the camera ip I see the same screen

"Error! it is in progress of upgrading firmware now" everytime.

I havent disconnected the power yet as I was afraid I might lose all contact to the camera.

Maybe in doing so it would hopefully reset back to the old firmware?

Any solutions or did I brick the camera?

Try a reset with the reset button, and possibly clear your Internet Explorer cache, and try reloading again. I have loaded firmware on a lot of Acti's, and haven't bricked one yet. (Not saying it can't happen, but I've done hundreds successfully)

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem. On an install with 48 ACM-1231 cameras, of which 47 running on 3.08.08 firmware, i needed to upgrade to 3.09.14 so as to be able to change the profile pack (lighting conditions very poor), and then bring firmware up to date. I updated all 47 cameras simultaneously using IP Utility 3.25.2X. One failed to update and 4 crashed. The one that failed does not to update any way I try, but that is a secondary issue.

My main problem is with the 4 crashed cameras. I can not recover them using hardware reset. When the camera powers up the red power led flashes. I suspect a boot-up failure? Any ideas on possible fixes?

Would appreciate some help.

I would assume they have a bootloader with a TFTP client for recovery.

This would involve holding the reset button when power on and doing it in a certain sequence. Don't try it unless you know exactly how to place the unit into TFTP recovery mode.

I have some experience with embedded system dev and flashing them remotely. A few good tips is to use a static IP on your flashing machine because the DHCP lease could expire during the flash sequence and transmission right! Also disable any firewall and AV software. Also never do it via a wireless link ever!

Personally I'd use the camera's webserver to do this unless I have to rollout massive updates to multiple cams. Then I'd use the batch updating tools or what ever the vendor has to do mass firmware rollout/updates.

Also if using the cam's webserver I'd make sure you don't have anything like NoScipt loaded or any kind of proxy BS. Also I'd use Firefox and avoid Apple's Safari as it's just BRUTAL.

I'd also do MD5 checksums on all bin files before flashing. Hopefully the vendor has a brain and publishes MD5s on their bins etc!

I hope that help ya man!

One other tip that IMHO as a dev of embedded systems in the past. When you rollout a firmware update I know it's tempting to not do a master reset and lose all your config but guys... DO IT... a lot of the time the ver differences require this to setup all their conf files etc properly. That first run script needs to recreate "stuff" in a way that could be very different than the old version. Also using a backup config created with an older firmware is a big NO NO as a general rule IMHO.

It uses IE as browser for web acces. The firmware files have md5, and the update worked on 43 ather cameras simultaneously.

I am not in the rush to take speedy actions as not to kill it permanently, but i do hope tosolve this ASAP.

I can't find the camera using their IP Utility software. However, it's ip works at the default adress, 192.168.0.100, but shows a message similar to installing an ActiveX control that reads "Do you want to open or save videoconfiguration_cgi from 192.168.0.100?". I have the options to save or open, but these are useless.

It uses IE as browser for web acces. The firmware files have md5, and the update worked on 43 ather cameras simultaneously.

I am not in the rush to take speedy actions as not to kill it permanently, but i do hope tosolve this ASAP.

I can't find the camera using their IP Utility software. However, it's ip works at the default adress, 192.168.0.100, but shows a message similar to installing an ActiveX control that reads "Do you want to open or save videoconfiguration_cgi from 192.168.0.100?". I have the options to save or open, but these are useless.

Why would it specifically use IE? That doesn't make any sense what so ever! I guess if it uses an active X control to view video via it's web server but this has no barring what so ever on using it's interface to make settings changes. If the cam's webserver requires ActiveX just to make settings changes or it's UI is an actual ActiveX control then that's just HORRIBLE! It's very highly unlikely though... Just watching the video from the camera's webserver requires ActiveX bro! I'd avoid using that browser and try to use firefox IMHO if using recent versions of IE due to it's security feature sets unless you know how to config it properly to avoid issues.

Do you know how to place the unit into TFTP recovery mode? That's what you need to do. If you're using windows you need a TFTP server like TFTP32 to upload the firmware into the client.

What about "hard reset" procedure? That should involve holding the reset button for a special period of time and sequence.

I'm sure all this info is available at the cam vendors website.

Best of luck!

It sounds like EEPROM failure to me... RMA time! or if you're really savvy and have a flow/hot air station you can probably replace the EEPROM SOIC8 or what ever it uses easily. Just make sure you use the exact same EEPROM chip. It might even be socketed too ehh!

I have a Willem programmer for these types of scenarios with various socket adapters. It's saved my ass many times! BTW if you want one of these EEPROM programmer I'd checkout this dude in Vancouver than runs a site called MCU mall. I have the GQ-4X and it's a fantastic programmer with great drivers and software. It's also great for hacking car MCUs for high performance!

A lot of devices are no longer socketed so you'd probably need a SOIC8 SMD Programming/Testing Clip or a reflow workstation to remove the EEPROM for flashing or replacement.

PS a JTAG is also invaluable for recovering embedded devices and I'd bet if you open up that cam it has a JTAG port on it's PCB!

Hi again,

Thanks for the interest so far HiroPro.

It's not that IE is mandatory, but I do believe they recommended it. from what i know all their server acts like a web-pages. for example if you get an error when something works wrong, you get a script error.

Hard reset I've tried. It involves holding down the reset button while you power it up, it didn't work, or at least not competely, but it did reset it to default IP adress.

I don't know how to place it in recovery mode, but I did see a 2 pin jumper on the board marked "Test". Online I can only find procedure for hard reset but no recovery.

However no socketed EEPROM, and reflow is out of the question.

Sorry to hear that. I'm shocked these devices don't have a TFTP client in their bootloader for recovery. They probably don't document it as they are fearful of non technical people messing with it on that level. Does the PCB have a JTAG? I'd be shocked if it doesn't have one. And hey NP with helping ya! I'm no expert though on cameras and CCTV. I'm sure others here might know TFTP recovery procedures. I have a LOT TO LEARN in this field but I learn quick!

I don't have a small enough screwderiver around to open it again. But i did contact a distributor to help me out with this. He said he remembers that there should be a procedure to recover them and he will contact the manufacturer. Eagerly awaiting... to get a load off my chest. Bun indeed I dedicated some time to this, and couldn't find anything on-line on this subject.

Curious corneliu.matei if you managed to find a solution. I'm very curious if it has a TFTP recovery option in the device's bootloader.

+1 on contacting them directly. They are pretty responsive. I usually open up support ticket online on their website and I've even had them connect to the camera to troubleshoot it. Also, their RMA process is pretty quick and they've turnaround cameras in the U.S. for me in 24 hours. If it's still under warranty, it may be worth shipping it to them to fix. The bullet cams have a 3 year warranty, at least in the U.S.

You don't need ActiveX to load firmware and actually they recommend you use their IP tool and not do it from a browser. The only thing you need ActiveX for is to view the camera from their web browser interface although you can view their cameras on any browser using a streaming command in the URL and if you need that, I can get it for you.