able1

Video on Ethernet over Fiber

Hello all,

Can anyone spec what equipment and fiber would be best to use for the following project.

Two buildings, roughly 1000' distance between. Would like to connect DVR with TCP/IP Ethernet 10/100 to main building with highspeed connect for remote viewing.

I can see that a direct burial fiber would be needed with converters on each end. But what fiber would be recommended and what converters would be best?? or mid-range, less than best??

What challenges would I have slapping me in the face that I should prepare for??

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

TIA

Les

For what you're describing there are a ton of options. The transceivers will be around $70/ea, and for more money you really won't get much of consequence in this case.

Biggest decision is probably should you to Fo/Cu standalone transceivers, or do a switch with integrated Fo ports.

I'd say find a transceiver option first, and then get a length of pre-terminated cable with matching connectors on it.

Some options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156085

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156005

http://www.garrettcom.com/es42.htm

Your biggest challenge will probably just be running the fiber, and managing not to damage it. Which isn't really much of an issue if you a apply a little common sense and caution.

Why not do a wireless PTP link? should be cheaper then 1000ft trench. Your close to me I can work with you to deign one if you would like.

Good suggestion.

Wireless is a good thought except for the lack of line of site. There is a hill, barn, trees and maybe something else in the way. Well maybe with a couple of real tall towers it could be done. Just seems a little impractical give the terrain.

Thanks for the links. I have local Graybar getting me a price on armored cable so I can ball park a price to make it happen.

Wireguy, thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. Got to get a commitment from the customer first.

Thanks for the input.

Les

Hello all,

Can anyone spec what equipment and fiber would be best to use for the following project.

Two buildings, roughly 1000' distance between. Would like to connect DVR with TCP/IP Ethernet 10/100 to main building with highspeed connect for remote viewing.

I can see that a direct burial fiber would be needed with converters on each end. But what fiber would be recommended and what converters would be best?? or mid-range, less than best??

What challenges would I have slapping me in the face that I should prepare for??

TIA

Les

Direct bury fibre with a PE or RBS sheath if using ducts. No point in using steel armoured unless you are direct burying the cable or you have a problem with rodents.

Gel filled tubes are best to stop water ingress but you should change to indoor grade as soon as you get into the building as gel 'migrates'.

Multimode fibre 50/125 would be best but over this distance 62.5/125 would probably be OK.

Though you only need two fibre cores I would install 8 cores of fibre to allow plenty of spare capacity for the networking boys and in case of future problems

Ilkie

hi, for such application you simply need the 10/100 Fast Ethernet Fiber converter. I would suggest to go with Singlemode fiber as it wont affect the cost of the equipment a lot, but yet you got a robust fiber for further more information if needed.

Alvin

Hello all,

TIA

Les