grim_reaper

help with a rs 485 wire

hi guys im usually ok with techno stuff but im a little confused.

i have purchased a PTZ camera for my home secuirty system my dvr accepts PTZ and all i need is a rs-485 cable, but i cant find one even on fle-bay.

i read they you can use any twisted pair of wire so a search on fle-bay i found this on fle-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300506531905?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D300506531905%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

is it a suitable replacement to an rs-485 cable and will it work?

if not does anyone know where i can get it from i need 10m

thank you.

RS-485 is a communication protocol, not a type of wire. You can use just about any sort of wire you have laying around - network cable, phone wire, speaker wire, even lamp cord.

Ummm.... it will WORK... it might be a pain to work with, as it apparently has no sheathing. And I think it's horribly over-priced - £5 plus shipping for 10m?? You can use that, but it's really not the most convenient option. You'd be better off dropping down to a local electronics store, or maybe a car audio store, and asking if they have any scraps - to me, 30' of Cat5e leftover from a 1000' box isn't worth packing around most times, and goes into the recycling box (fill up a box, get a few bucks for it from a metal recycler).

Ummm.... it will WORK... it might be a pain to work with, as it apparently has no sheathing. And I think it's horribly over-priced - £5 plus shipping for 10m?? You can use that, but it's really not the most convenient option. You'd be better off dropping down to a local electronics store, or maybe a car audio store, and asking if they have any scraps - to me, 30' of Cat5e leftover from a 1000' box isn't worth packing around most times, and goes into the recycling box (fill up a box, get a few bucks for it from a metal recycler).

ive found an old rj-45 cat 5 cable i have cut the ends of to reveal the coloured and striped wires this has got to work am i right?

RS-485 is a communication protocol, not a type of wire. You can use just about any sort of wire you have laying around - network cable, phone wire, speaker wire, even lamp cord.

Since RS-485 communication ports use a balanced signaling system, you'd really want to use a twisted pair cable instead of a basic wire (phone wire, lamp cord, etc.) in order to get maximum benefit from the noise immunity of the balanced signal.

Any twisted pair cable from Cat3 on should work just fine though. A chunk of network cable is probably the most common approach since it's readily available in most cases.

True, UTP is preferred... but since he's looking at a chunk of cable that's 10m long, I'm guessing that his run is <10m, and thus pretty much anything with two conductors should suffice.

of course the other advantage of using a cat5e cable for RS485 is that should you suffer a failure of one conductors you have three other pairs to switch to. (Assuming your video signal and power are on another cable)

With 10m or less, it's often cheaper to buy a ready made cat5 cable and chop the ends off.

of course the other advantage of using a cat5e cable for RS485 is that should you suffer a failure of one conductors you have three other pairs to switch to. (Assuming your video signal and power are on another cable)

With 10m or less, it's often cheaper to buy a ready made cat5 cable and chop the ends off.

Yep that's what I'm going to do just makes sense to use cat5 will let you know how it goes ptz and cat5 in the post