jomma5

Computer keeps locking up...any ideas?

I got everything working on our GV800 system. Problem is....about once a week, the CPU stays on (lights/fans) but the monitor turns off completely. I have swapped monitors, cords, unplugged/plugged back in, etc and same thing regardless. I have even switched graphic cards.

I am thinking its either the CPU, motherboard, or the GV800 card doing this. Has anyone ever heard of this before or does that trigger any thoughts of what could be going on?

Its working fine now and has for about 5 days. Its usually around the 6-8 day range when this happens. I have to unplug the CPU then turn it back on...then everything works fine. When the system does this goofy thing, you cannot connect remotely to watch the cameras nor does it record.

computer specs:

MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ...

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 ...

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black ...

Antec One Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer ....

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W

PowerColor AX3450 512MD2-H Radeon HD 3450

GV800 card pci-e x1 8.4 software

windows 7 professional 64bit

The 2 times that happened to both myself and a client in the past, non Geo Related, it was a bad monitor in one case, and a bad monitor VGA cable in the other case (thin monitor cable was built into the LCD and was damaged).

But also do you have power options for Windows on high performance, so nothing goes into sleep mode?

Geo generally recommend Intel and Nvidia chipsets only, though cant say that is the issue there as it works for a few days before it happens, normally chipset problems cause issues like not being able to install the drivers.

happened to me recently as well.

was swollen capacitors on the motherboard.

rebuilt the system and all is well for over 3 weeks now.

FYI - I never had any luck using AMD with Geovision and with an MSI board, you are just asking for problems unfortunately.

Intel chipset and an intel chip and you will likely be problem free for a very long time.

nothing to do with my preference but has proven itself a very reliable setup time and again.

good luck!

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be the same issue Rory had. It was a bad cable to the monitor/ (damaged) Actually it happened one other time, where the northbridge fan pulled out the horseshoe pin that secures the fan to the board, causing the fan to fall off. I hate boards that use that method instead of the actual holes!

I had that problem too and if I didn't have Geovision running then the computer would run fine but if it was running then the pc would lock-up every day or so and I would not get a display and the internet was jammed so no other computer could use it. Tried many different things, even a different card for Geovision to no avail. Then on the off chance I formated the HD and started from scratch and the computer has been running perfectly with the same software as before. So not sure what the problem was but ...