Anthony A.

CNB VCM-24VF.... Heater or no heater in Canada

im looking to get the cnb monalisa vcm-24vf or vfh (heater) but not sure if the heater model is necessary. this will be installed under a porch not really exposed to rain but the occasional windy day will blow water and snow in the porch. my main concern is fogging of the lens in the -20 degree celcius weather or the super humid summers. any advice if the extra money for the heater is necessary? im more concerned with the heater dying out soon and having to replace the camera.

also, is this my best bet for analog camera for front door use? i always have a 150watt light on during the night.

thanks for the help.

I've only needed to add heaters to these cameras once, and that was a gas station install done under a pump canopy in a very damp Vancouver winter, so lots of ambient moisture got trapped inside the dome (we ended up having to add a couple silica desiccant packs to each camera as well, to soak up the excess moisture). Keep in mind these are IP66-rated domes, sealed (theoretically) against any water ingress except direct water under pressure - as long as the air is dry when you close them up, you should be fine.

BTW, if you DO find out the heater is needed later, it's easy enough to order it separately and add it yourself - this is what we did at the aforementioned gas station.