DominoPublicity

Idiot Needing Help with Adding Hard Drive

Hi, not really stupid but new to DVR's. I have a Dowshu 7000 (i think), it has a 320 GB hard Drive and I need to add another couple of drives. Do I just turn it off, put in a multiple ribbon, connect HDD's and restart. I tried reading the 89 page manual and it mentions you can have extra storage but no mention on what to do and I emailed DOWSHU twice and got an automated reply and no follow up.

Thanks

Rod

Hello,

Yes usually DVR's will detect the new HDD and begin writing video to the drive once the initial drive has filled up. You should not have to do much programming in the DVR at all.

I'll try to find conformation from their website.

and yes absolutely shutdown the DVR before adding the HD

Hello,

Yes usually DVR's will detect the new HDD and begin writing video to the drive once the initial drive has filled up. You should not have to do much programming in the DVR at all.

I'll try to find conformation from their website.

and yes absolutely shutdown the DVR before adding the HD

The quick reply is greatly appreciated. I feel better already.

Found something for visual confirmation on the drive status.

Once you have installed the new HD, when you boot up the DVR make sure you check the 'info' tab and see if your new drive is detected and has all free space remaining. Then just allow the initial drive to fill up and your new drive will be next to write video.

1000000903.JPG

Enjoy

Is info is on page 64/89

Just noticed this myself, but near the 'apply' button the window shows you what drive is active and how much space is free on that drive, so useful when you want to confirm which drive is writing video currently and how long till it's full.

Hi again, This Dowshu DVR has 2 IDE drives, one for system and the other for storage, is it possible to add SATA drives as storage or would this involve some sort of configuration. The case contains 2 racks inside apparently one for IDE and the other for SATA. All advice welcome/

Cheers

Rod

Hi again, This Dowshu DVR has 2 IDE drives, one for system and the other for storage, is it possible to add SATA drives as storage or would this involve some sort of configuration. The case contains 2 racks inside apparently one for IDE and the other for SATA. All advice welcome/

Cheers

Rod

I'm confused your last sentence says the other racks are for sata, but you asked if it's possible to add sata. .?? If you have sata slots on your board then yes use sat a drives if not then IDE is your only option. Unless it's a PC DVR with a capture card then you can use either one (with a converter connection)

Sorry, I was not clear, I meant can I use both at the same time as storage...still not clear..lol

The system drive is IDE which I am not going to touch.

The storage drive is IDE

I would like to add another storage drive, would this have to be IDE as well or could I use SATA

ie... can I have 2 different storage formats running at the same time or is it a situation that I can run the system using the IDE drive but storage must be either IDE or SATA but not both together.

clear as mud

Haha

Ok so I would actually leave the drive type as is. If IDE is standard on that board I would keep it so. If you have additional IDE slots on the board then I would definitely take advantage and use all HD bays. Theres usually no setup required and you get more days/weeks/months of recording.