Sign in to follow this  
junkjunk13

comparing the VideoIQ with Mobotix M12 and AXIS 1346-E

I was looking to purchase a couple of either

- Mobotix M12

- or AXIS 1346-E

To eliminate extra PCs and NVR soft I asked another question earlier on this forum see:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25651&p=155507#p155507

At a certain moment I got this reply from thewireguys:

If you want a way simpler solution I would look at VideoIQ. All recording is stored in the cameras and they have intelligent video that can detect people cars and boats. You would NOT need a computer or NAS running all the time. Only to view recorded video.

VideoIQ demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RdBtHcaGw&feature=player_embedded

I assume he is talking about the iCVR HD cameras:

http://www.videoiq.com/resources/C-%20VIQ_iCVR_HD_camera_brochure.pdf

This one looks the most interesting one to me:

-> VIQ-HD-CRD250-3-8 — Day/night, 500 GB hard drive, 3-8mm lens

It is around 1800 USD which is less then 1500 euros which is a little more expensive then the axis 1346-E and 500 euros more expensive then the mobotix.

When comparing functions:

- compared to axis: the videoiq has build in NVR and storage either 250 or 500GB so I don't need a NAS or NVR software.

- compared to mobotix : mobotix also has build in NVR but still requires a NAS.

When comparing the specs:

- megapixel: it is only 1080p compare to 3MP on both Axis and Mobotix

- night sensitivity is much better

I am mostly concerned about the resolution and compression:

- 1080p compared to the 3MP

- H.264 compared to the MxPeg (mobotix) or MJPEG (Axis).

The resolution difference is only during the day. At night the Axis and Mobotix are 1MP as well.

And just based on the specs the minimum illumination is 0,25 for the VideoIQ where as the AXIS and Mobotix are 0,5.

So I assume during the night the VideoIQ will perform better at the same resolution.

Only during the day will I loose a lot of extra MP.

On the compression I am also a little afraid when you check the Mobotix arguments about H.264 not being a real video surveillance codec.

Mobotix their purpose and my goal is to be able to detect/recognise faces. Since H.264 is compressing a lot you loose valuable data. H.264 is more for motion where for recognition you just need a still crisp image. I kind of agree with Mobotix their argumentation.

Does anyone have some real footage from the VideoIQ or experience comparing these 3 cams?

My main goal is to be able to do face-recognition between 3 and 8 meter of the camera both during day and night.

VideoIQ is a very good solution but where it is most powerful (I think) is detecting and alerting on event. You can setup rules when "object (Person Vehicle or Boat)" is present in ROI or Object crosses a Line THEN record, email, trigger output. I have been using and installing them for a couple of months and they do exactly what they say they can do.

When you send the email is sent you get email with links that you can click on and see the alarm or live video on your computer or your iPhone/Ipad.

VideoIQ gives you the ability to prevent/deter the crime from happening.

VideoIQ is a very good solution but where it is most powerful (I think) is detecting and alerting on event. You can setup rules when "object (Person Vehicle or Boat)" is present in ROI or Object crosses a Line THEN record, email, trigger output. I have been using and installing them for a couple of months and they do exactly what they say they can do.

When you send the email is sent you get email with links that you can click on and see the alarm or live video on your computer or your iPhone/Ipad.

That is indeed a very interesting solution.

That is why I am would like to see the resolution compared to axis P1346-E and Mobotix M12.

I prefer to have a less performant motion detection (at the cost of having more detection and capture more data) as long as the footage is usable. Once again my main goal is face-recognition.

That is indeed a very interesting solution.

That is why I am would like to see the resolution compared to axis P1346-E and Mobotix M12.

I prefer to have a less performant motion detection (at the cost of having more detection and capture more data) as long as the footage is usable. Once again my main goal is face-recognition.

Well of your main goal is recognition I would look at Avigilon and JPEG2000. Here is a shot from the 5MP JPEG2000 camera.

5503139250_e61465ce76_o-1.jpg

Well of your main goal is recognition I would look at Avigilon and JPEG2000. Here is a shot from the 5MP JPEG2000 camera.

That is a nice shot indeed however I am afraid above my budget.

If I am correct I would need the cam with all the following accesoiries to be able to put it outdoor on a wall:

Price model Descr

$985 5.0MP-HD-DN 5.0 Megapixel HD Day/Night

$173 ES-HD Standard Format Enclosure for Avigilon HD Color IP Cameras. Max combined camera and lens length is 6.8" (17.27 cm).

$469 ES-HD-HB Standard Format Enclosure for Avigilon HD Color IP Cameras with 24 VAC Heater/Blower. Maximum combined camera and lens length is 9" (12.7 cm).

$72 ES-OPT-WALL-S Wall Mount for ES-HD, supports up to 20lbs (9.1 kg)

$55 SS-ES-HB Sun shroud for ES-HD-HB, reduces internal temperature by 10-15°F (6-10°C).

And I am not sure if the lens is included.

If the lens is included the cost of the camera with accesories is indeed not to much compared to the AXIS 1346-E however it is JPEG2000 and I did not find a NAS/video-recording-software combination that is around the price of the Synology 1511+ with the 4-pack Synology CAM licenses. The Synology and QNAP are not compatible with this cam.

In other words the price of the cams is ok but you would also need a strong investment on storage/video-recording-software.

That is a nice shot indeed however I am afraid above my budget.

If I am correct I would need the cam with all the following accesoiries to be able to put it outdoor on a wall:

Price model Descr

$985 5.0MP-HD-DN 5.0 Megapixel HD Day/Night

$173 ES-HD Standard Format Enclosure for Avigilon HD Color IP Cameras. Max combined camera and lens length is 6.8" (17.27 cm).

$469 ES-HD-HB Standard Format Enclosure for Avigilon HD Color IP Cameras with 24 VAC Heater/Blower. Maximum combined camera and lens length is 9" (12.7 cm).

$72 ES-OPT-WALL-S Wall Mount for ES-HD, supports up to 20lbs (9.1 kg)

$55 SS-ES-HB Sun shroud for ES-HD-HB, reduces internal temperature by 10-15°F (6-10°C).

And I am not sure if the lens is included.

If the lens is included the cost of the camera with accesories is indeed not to much compared to the AXIS 1346-E however it is JPEG2000 and I did not find a NAS/video-recording-software combination that is around the price of the Synology 1511+ with the 4-pack Synology CAM licenses. The Synology and QNAP are not compatible with this cam.

In other words the price of the cams is ok but you would also need a strong investment on storage/video-recording-software.

Not sure where you getting the prices but you can use any housing you want. You could get the Avigilon 5MP with the housing and lens for the same price as the Axis. But if you went with the 3MP it would be cheaper then Axis.

I am not a big fan of QNAP or Synology I find there software to be clunky and slow compared to full VMS software. When you have to search though days or weeks of video you will understand.

Avigilon's VMS will run on computers with the same specs as the NAS from QNAP or Synology so power savings is a wash.