mike_va

small enclosure for a box camera - any ideas/suggestions

All the enclosures for box cameras seem to be pretty large.

Does someone make a small enclosure just big enough for a box camera, to protect it from the elements? Something maybe ~ 3" diameter and 7" long, just big enough to slide a camera in?

Basically trying to make a bullet out of a box camera. Really like the controls on my Bosch cameras, and would like to deploy a few more outside without making the house look like a prison.

Thanks in advance.

Pelco EH2508, 6.25" L x 2.75" W x 2.75" H., with EM1450 mounting arm. Bit of a pain to work with, though. Focus and adjust the camera before putting it in the tube, there's no room to do it after.155988_1.jpg

Thanks, perfect!

I know a little of what you mean about tough to work with, I just fit our Axis P1344 inside a Bosch LTC7030...pretty snug

Or EH3508, which is a squared-off housing with flip-up lid. I hate those round ones...

Thanks for the idea but looks a little too serious, I have a HOA to contend with

I've found with those round housings, the seal either deteriorates over time, causing a leak, or it sticks and makes it nearly impossible to open the housing for future service. Plus, you have to line everything up perfectly when assembling them, or the screws that snug everything up won't go into their threads.

On the whole, they're a LOT of hassle just for a little bit of aesthetics.

I've found with those round housings, the seal either deteriorates over time, causing a leak, or it sticks and makes it nearly impossible to open the housing for future service. Plus, you have to line everything up perfectly when assembling them, or the screws that snug everything up won't go into their threads.

Noted, appreciate the comments. What would really be nice is if something like the LTC0495 came in a bullet...

I was even thinking the other night of trying out a Nuvico CB-HDE65N-L but when I read the power consumption was 8W and 14W with LED's gave up that idea...that's a lotta power to get rid of in a small enclosure, must run pretty hot.

just a question.... does the Bosch camera your looking at come in a dome version?
Yep, that would be the VDN-0495.

I actually picked up a couple of the dome IP versions on the 495 in case it comes to that...they were a pretty good buy. Even that I would have to build a spot to mount one, I'm debating adding the other above the garage door. The nuisance is they are IP post not push like Axis, i.e. it needs a request for each jpeg if I'm understanding everything right so I'd be stuck using the service jack and an encoder...unknown if it could handle a long run.

What VMS are you using?

Vitamin D analytics, nice because I can save weeks (if not months) of events and playback is so simple just use the up down arrow keys have it set at 3x playback takes very little time to review. I bought the full version, love it (great support). The interfaces appear to be designed by someone very good at this.

The demo version is free, full functionality but limited to one camera CIF. Never had it miss something yet, also flawless email notification with a box drawn around triggering event. Distinguishes people vs. objects pretty well.

Drawbacks: does not do audio, limited to 10FPS (don't care), 1.3MP (also don't need and seems to be a major project going higher with regard to lenses etc). At some point will augment with something to record a few cameras with audio continuously, have been playing around with various options.

I got a demo of Exacq from you if I go that route I'll buy from you, appreciate also the support you provide on this forum. I've also tried Milestone (free version) and Blue Iris (demo, great support, inexpensive).

Can actually get the Bosch to work transcoding the stream with VLC, quality not quite as good that way but did not try to optimize much and since I have unused encoders decided I could just try to use the service jack if it came to it (did test at a short distance and worked fine).

On the whole, they're a LOT of hassle just for a little bit of aesthetics.

... And, can cause actual pain. If you try and drill out the inner sled to clear a standard conduit fitting with a Unibit, the sled will spin around, and lacerate your index finger, pinning it against the trigger in the process... Not me, by the way, but one of our installers!