It's odd that they would limit it. Perhaps that will change with a future revision. Then again, limiting third party cameras might help make their own cameras look better.

It's odd that they would limit it. Perhaps that will change with a future revision. Then again, limiting third party cameras might help make their own cameras look better.

Sanyo might have a slight edge in color quality over Avigilon H.264 but in every other way it Avigilon is a better camera.

Sanyo might have a slight edge in color quality over Avigilon H.264 but in every other way it Avigilon is a better camera.

I have not seen an Avigilon in action, but when I set my HD4600 to a white balance of 5600, my outdoor scene looks so much like the real thing. It's hard to imagine something might look better. This is part of the reason I started this thread.

I have not seen an Avigilon in action, but when I set my HD4600 to a white balance of 5600, my outdoor scene looks so much like the real thing. It's hard to imagine something might look better.

Really. What is the max frames/sec you actually get at max rez, using what compression, with what software? Do you have it in a can outdoors? It says the view angle is 50 degrees, but then it also says optical zoom is 10x, so what is the max horiz angle? It's odd that the max rez in H.264 and 16:9 MJpeg is 1080; this must be a limitation of the electronics. It says it can record to SD or disk, yet there is no mention of NFS support... what disk then?

I wonder for the HD3300 what is the max frames/sec you get at max rez, using what compression, with what software?

Hi Guys, what are you using for storage? Playback? and apart from the specs, what is the objective requirement for the images being generated?

• What is the target?
    At what speed is the target moving?
    What is the activity or state of concern related to observing the target?
    What is the recorded or visual image used for?

I have not seen an Avigilon in action, but when I set my HD4600 to a white balance of 5600, my outdoor scene looks so much like the real thing. It's hard to imagine something might look better. This is part of the reason I started this thread.

Here is the Avigilon 1080P

5796807273_7869b93f58_o-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

That's interesting - but shouldn't cameras be compared equally. I mean just because a camera can't get a better picture than another - does that mean it's worse.

By the way ---- I figure that a $50 analog camera would achieve the objective of identification level surveillance at that doorway just as well. I mean the MP requirement for that space to achieve forensic detail certainly wouldn't justify deploying a 4MP HD camera - so i presume you are measuring the cameras effectiveness at some other scenario that justifies HD VSS?

Really. What is the max frames/sec you actually get at max rez, using what compression, with what software? Do you have it in a can outdoors? It says the view angle is 50 degrees, but then it also says optical zoom is 10x, so what is the max horiz angle? It's odd that the max rez in H.264 and 16:9 MJpeg is 1080; this must be a limitation of the electronics. It says it can record to SD or disk, yet there is no mention of NFS support... what disk then?

I wonder for the HD3300 what is the max frames/sec you get at max rez, using what compression, with what software?

I run mine at 4:3 and can pull 30fps at 1600x1200 h.264. I run at 15fps. It's indoors looking out a window from the second floor at a section of my driveway 200 ft away. Running at jpeg you can get full 2288x1712 but only at 5 or so fps. I stream to an Avermedia PC based NVR and to a test instance of Exacq. It has a sd card slot and USB for a local HD, but I have not used those. I can back out to a wide shot and see storms when I need.

Here is the Avigilon 1080P

What model camera is that. Feel free to PM pricing if you don't want to post it.

Edited by Guest

That's interesting - but shouldn't cameras be compared equally. I mean just because a camera can't get a better picture than another - does that mean it's worse.

By the way ---- I figure that a $50 analog camera would achieve the objective of identification level surveillance at that doorway just as well. I mean the MP requirement for that space to achieve forensic detail certainly wouldn't justify deploying a 4MP HD camera - so i presume you are measuring the cameras effectiveness at some other scenario that justifies HD VSS?

Yes the resolution of that camera is totally over kill for that location but I like the image. The cameras are about the same price which one do you want to look at?

1080P

5796807273_7869b93f58_o-1.jpg

D1

5796865041_de70497712_o-1.jpg

well that's ok -- which Is why I often discuss perceptual resolution. Some people may pay 10x for the better looking image - but I suspect in business, the least expensive solution that gets the job done, may be preferred by many customers.

For me, I like the higher resolution because I am covering a larger area and want some detail. I have some $150 CNB wdr cams that just don't have what it takes. Putting my HD4600 next to them, shows their lack of resolution. It would take 4 of them to get decent resolution and coverage, so why not spend $600 for a single HD camera.

Hi EarlIT,

I think you are liking the wider field of view.

But yes I hear what you are saying --- and specifically HD in a 720p format or UXGA format is going to give you more coverage/forensic detail resolution per width of area. That is going to translate to less cabling infrastructure for pixel depth coverage compared to analog.

But really , for a 1m x1m area , those $150 CNB cameras are very likely going to give you sufficent pixel/area coverage to provide identification detail surveillance and give you a damn good picture at that - to the extent tha spending an extra $100 might not be justified by some --- just because they like the image better!

The cameras are about the same price which one do you want to look at?

whichever one is latency free and can see at night

For me, I like the higher resolution because I am covering a larger area and want some detail. I have some $150 CNB wdr cams that just don't have what it takes. Putting my HD4600 next to them, shows their lack of resolution. It would take 4 of them to get decent resolution and coverage, so why not spend $600 for a single HD camera.

What about night though?

Yes the CNB WDR are not that great anyway, best to stick to the Monalisas in the CNB range, and even those are just so so .. though they have good low light as long as they switch to BW (another issue).

What about night though?

Yes the CNB WDR are not that great anyway, best to stick to the Monalisas in the CNB range, and even those are just so so .. though they have good low light as long as they switch to BW (another issue).

I do have a MonaLisa VCM-24VF and yes the night time view is quite good "if" is switches to bw. Sometimes it just stays color and fills the screen with noise. My Sanyo will show an acceptable image at night if there is some light. Moonlight is not enough, but my 24vf can see pretty will with a full moon. I have another brand X camera that rivals the monalisa for similar cost.

Rory that 1080P looks better at night then those CNBs.... If I need more light I can add IR or While light it's really not that difficult.

Do you have any low light images or comparisons?

Putting my HD4600 next to them, shows their lack of resolution. It would take 4 of them to get decent resolution and coverage, so why not spend $600 for a single HD camera.

Where for $600? Is there a can that will fit this snugly? PM me pls.

Putting my HD4600 next to them, shows their lack of resolution. It would take 4 of them to get decent resolution and coverage, so why not spend $600 for a single HD camera.

Where for $600? Is there a can that will fit this snugly? PM me pls.

That $600 number is more for a HD3300. Trust me, if I could find HD4600's for $600, I never would have posted. I would own several and be happy.

That said, anyone else hearing Sanyo is lowering it's prices?

Rory that 1080P looks better at night then those CNBs.... If I need more light I can add IR or While light it's really not that difficult.

I would imagine so, with the light right in front of it in such a small area