Lesst

Airport cameras convert over to Ubiquiti IP

I have been maintaining an 8-camera system at a large private fly-in community. They had installed 10 cameras with Videocomm TCO-5808 to send the video back to the airport office. The original installer could not get the system to work and quit the job and I was hired to get the system running. We have 8 cameras where 2 are relayed to make a 90 degree turn to get those 2 cameras signal back to home. We only have 8 channels to work with at 5.8ghz, and 10 transmitters. I set the frequencies as far apart as I could but we still have cross talk images floating across some of the cameras images at home base.

We now have 3 TX out and 2 more failing. I am encouraging them to convert to IP links for the cameras, but they are a little shy of that cost after spending considerable funds to do the original install, plus my work too.

I have been shopping for IP wireless equipment and have found that Ubiquiti equipment is very popular, and at a good price for these kinds of networks, but I need to hear good or bad, about what equipment you would use for such a project. Im thinking Ubiqiiti NSM5's in bridge mode, as I want to stay in 5.8ghz band, as many homes/hangers along the way are using 2.4 wirless band making it cluttered for us to use.

They want me to locate 2 end users that are using similar closed IP links (bridge mode?) to transmit multiple camera outputs via IP so they can speak with them to assure that this solution will work and give us enough throughput for multi cam video feeds through the system.

I would appreciate any input on the equipment for this install, or any other applicable insights. You can also PM me if you have a client using IP for video that would be willing to discuss their satisfaction with installing IP video. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Guest

I use Ubiquiti equipment frequently in my installations, and have had good results.

A few hints:

Use equipment in WDS-Ap to WDS-Station mode, to avoid MAC translation, which can affect some NVR setups.

Do not use WDS repeating, that reduces your bandwidth by half at each hop.

Order your equipment well in advance: Ubiquiti is prone to supply shortages.. Although that does tell you how in demand their products are!

Be courteous: Talk to any local wireless ISP's in your area, and ask them to coordinate channel usage with you. You'll both benefit.

Buy a few NSM5's in advance, and try them out. Take a look at some Wiki items here http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/AirMax_Products, as well as their forum, very little documentation comes with the units themselves (default IP and password is all).

The PoE that Ubiquiti equipment uses is NOT standard 802.3af, it's a proprietary lower voltage. If you want to power the Ubiquiti equipment using standard PoE switches, there is an adapter available here http://www.ubnt.com/8023af

It sound like you also are trying to distribute Internet connectivity to the hangers/homes at 2.4GHz, is that the case?

Can you provide aerial maps, etc, showing the distances and locations of what you are trying to accomplish? That can help greatly in the system layout.

I'm in the process of installing 2- Picostation 2HP at my home to link to my back yard workshop/office to get the experience of using the AirOS & wireless features. I have been consulting by phone with a tech that uses these and other Ubiquiti devices in hotels and small offices, but he has little video experience.

The aerial map shows the airport layout. NOTE: There is LOS between the hanger roof location #1 and the #2 pole on the runways north side. But the signal would travel over 4 metal hangers roofs and break the TX/RX signals IMHO. Camera 4 is on a roof and feeds to the Aver NV5000 2-card DVR via Internet. We are not adding it to the Wireless system now, but may in the future. This is a private network and we are not providing any service to any others. This area of 2500+ homes is served by ATT Universal services, and BrightHouse RR cable, and I know of no WISP in the area to interfere with.

I will use Axis M7001, or Vivotek VS8102 to convert the existing analog cameras to IP.New cameras I am looking at installing are the CNB IGB1110NF which is doing great at a front gate install I finished recently. Comment?

I'll be check out the Fluidmesh MITO nodes too. Any other contenders for performance, price, reliability?

Does anyone have a multi IP camera end user that I can talk to as a reference? THANKS!!

Airpt_cam_Net_Jun-11.thumb.jpg.4391d6acb01149838a358bed0e6bd333.jpg

Fluidmesh is nice because you have a company behind you for support. Their MITO products are so easy to setup and install. One of the Nodes will be the master unit that that is where you will monitor and manage the network from.

Also keep in mind Fluidmesh will to PTP, PTMP and MESH where Ubiquiti only does PTP and PTMP.

With Fluidmesh you only pay for the speed that you need. So calculate the bandwidth form each device so you can come up with the plugins you will need.

If you need help PM me.

I'm in the process of installing 2- Picostation 2HP at my home to link to my back yard workshop/office to get the experience of using the AirOS & wireless features.

Note, there are differences in the "M" line, you get wireless "N" datarates, and 2x2 MIMO (in the NSM and some other models, some are 1x1 MIMO)- Working with the Picostations should help you gain some familiarity, though.

The aerial map shows the airport layout. NOTE: There is LOS between the hanger roof location #1 and the #2 pole on the runways north side. But the signal would travel over 4 metal hangers roofs and break the TX/RX signals IMHO. Camera 4 is on a roof and feeds to the Aver NV5000 2-card DVR via Internet.

I would use a NSM5 at #3,#4 aimed at one of two NSM5's at #2 location, and the other at #2, and#1 aimed to the last NSM5 at the home base location. Run #4, #3, and one unit at #2 on one channel, the other at location #2, #1, and Home Base on another.

I will use Axis M7001, or Vivotek VS8102 to convert the existing analog cameras to IP.New cameras I am looking at installing are the CNB IGB1110NF which is doing great at a front gate install I finished recently. Comment?

Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with the Avermedia S/W, not too familiar with it.

You should have plenty of bandwidth to spare, total link throughput should be in the 60-70Mbps range, standard res cameras/encoders will probably not be much more than 1.5-2Mbps each.

At those distances, make sure you turn down the output power, you should adjust to have a signal level at around -50 or so.