doug25427

Another newbie needing new system advice.

Hello all,

I have read a good many prior posts to gain some knowledge prior to purchase of a DYI residential system. I have a monitored hard wired alarm system now. Adding good quality video surveillance is now my goal.

My requirements are to watch over two buildings. One would be 25 feet away from the camera and is 30 feet wide. The other is 25 feet from the camera and 20 feet wide. Both of these areas are always fairly well lighted at night. Watch over an entrance door which is 20 feet from the camera and 8 feet wide. This area is not well lighted at night. Three or four cameras would do the trick and then some.

It would be great if I had enough resolution to be able to legally ID intruders but from my reading this is real tough to do at night without breaking the bank.

This is what I have determined so far along with some questions:

1) I want a PC based DVR system. It seems to me the easy choice is GeoVision but which one?

2) The Bosch brand cameras seem to get some high marks. The WZ series and the better bullets I have considered. Any comment?

3) Hard wiring the cameras is not an issue for me. Is it best to purchase an integrated power supply? It makes sense it would be more reliable than the single PS for each camera and easier to install.

4) Is a monitor necessary if I can output to a big screen TV? Or is it easier to set up and maintain the system with a monitor nearby the PC?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer

Doug

Hello all,

I have read a good many prior posts to gain some knowledge prior to purchase of a DYI residential system. I have a monitored hard wired alarm system now. Adding good quality video surveillance is now my goal.

My requirements are to watch over two buildings. One would be 25 feet away from the camera and is 30 feet wide. The other is 25 feet from the camera and 20 feet wide. Both of these areas are always fairly well lighted at night. Watch over an entrance door which is 20 feet from the camera and 8 feet wide. This area is not well lighted at night. Three or four cameras would do the trick and then some.

It would be great if I had enough resolution to be able to legally ID intruders but from my reading this is real tough to do at night without breaking the bank.

This is what I have determined so far along with some questions:

1) I want a PC based DVR system. It seems to me the easy choice is GeoVision but which one?

GV is a decent choice - not the best out there, but no slouch.

2) The Bosch brand cameras seem to get some high marks. The WZ series and the better bullets I have considered. Any comment?

According to this handy-dandy lens calculator, you'll need about a 4mm lens to get the full width of the 30' area, and 6mm for the 20' area, at a 25' distance and assuming a 1/3" sensor.

Personally, I'm a fan of CNB's Mona Lisa line of cameras - the VBM- or VCM-24VF are great units and either should fit your needs nicely. Both are vandal-resistant outdoor true-day/night domes with 2.8-10.5mm lenses, only difference is the mounting options, and price (the VCM has a separate back-box and can be flush- or surface-mounted; the VBM is surface-mount only).

3) Hard wiring the cameras is not an issue for me. Is it best to purchase an integrated power supply? It makes sense it would be more reliable than the single PS for each camera and easier to install.

Good call on the PSU. Make sure you use one with individually fused outputs, for added safety (and protection of the equipment).

4) Is a monitor necessary if I can output to a big screen TV? Or is it easier to set up and maintain the system with a monitor nearby the PC?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer

Doug

That really depends on the setup... you do need something that can display the computer desktop in order to operate the system. If your TV has a spare VGA, DVI or HDMI input that you can feed the DVR into, you can use that as your computer monitor.

Thanks for the reply.

I looked over the VBM-24VD in more than a few places. I noticed one of your posts detailing the cam. It would surely serve me well and seems not to be so expensive either. The arm mount will work nicely too.

I noticed the comments regarding the quality of the DVR as it ought to match the cams abilities. Since these systems seem to be mostly based upon cams and DVR quality my concern now is DVR choice.

Anyone have any GeoVision card recommendations which would be a good fit to the system I am planning using the VBM-24VD?

As it plays out I have a common wall between the master bedroom and walk in closet. The big screen, which has an available HDMI port, is mounted to this wall. It will be simple to install the PC and the power supply inside the walk in closet. Fishing the cam wiring will be easy enough to do and I would bet a wireless keyboard and mouse will span the distance to the big screen eliminating the need of a monitor.