itsmejoe

question and suggestion.

I ended up buying a 2 camera 4 channel card kit (Q-See QSDT42DPCRC) for $280 it included 2 QD28414W Cameras and a QSDT4PCRC BNC dongle card. first question would be, should I return that card and buy individual pieces off of amazon? If so, what should I purchase?

The setup that I need will most likely run through active baluns and I want to be able to run some cameras from behind windows. I'm going to have two outside and probably two inside behind glass. the ones that are behind glass will most likely not use IR because of glare and I may need to run IR illuminators on the driveway.

the next question would be a balun hub. can I run all 4 cameras through baluns and is there a way to transmit that through a single existing coax cable to the computer? most all the balun setups I see are running straight cat5 cable inbetween the camera and dvr input.

thanks in advance.

The setup that I need will most likely run through active baluns and I want to be able to run some cameras from behind windows. I'm going to have two outside and probably two inside behind glass. the ones that are behind glass will most likely not use IR because of glare and I may need to run IR illuminators on the driveway.

You won't just have a problem with IR when viewing through glass: ANY light in the room (or in view of the window) will cause reflections that will show up in the camera. It should be alright during the day, but will get much worse at night.

the next question would be a balun hub. can I run all 4 cameras through baluns and is there a way to transmit that through a single existing coax cable to the computer? most all the balun setups I see are running straight cat5 cable inbetween the camera and dvr input.

A balun is a device to run balanced video over a single twisted pair. Cat5e (or Cat3/5/6) allows you to run four cameras simply because there are four pairs. There are devices that can matrix four analog feeds over a single coax, but they'll be expensive.

The other option would be to do away with the capture card, add an IP video server at each camera, run the network outputs of those into a switch, then use an IP-over-coax device (Veracity Highwire and the like) to connect the DVR to that network over the existing coax... but that's getting pretty complex.