liveinxs

CNB VFL20S

just a heads up, i bought two of the VFL20S cameras the other day, now i had expected that since they were the Monalisa chip cameras, that they would be killer in low light areas, was i wrong, the areas that was lit at night with garage lights looked beautiful, no noise,, BUT the areas that were short on light was totally black, couldn't see a thing..

so i figured i would just add a IR illuminator, was gonna buy the MIR1000, turns out that the VFL20S can't see IR light...really nice, so i packaged them up and i am gonna replace them with LDM-24VF,,,

just thought you would find this review helpful....

The VFL-20S isn't listed as a "true day/night" or ICR camera, why would you expect it to work any better with IR?

Ditto.

that dome is just a vandal Color dome, has a fixed IR cut filter and is not Day Night.

I wouldn't bother with the LDM-24VF either. I put in 8 for a neighbor and am having all kinds of issues with the IR. Basically, the picture at night stinks.

Ditto.

that dome is just a vandal Color dome, has a fixed IR cut filter and is not Day Night.

this post was offered for those who are not so called "experts", it was posted for those like myself who are new to the field, and still searching for answers...

true it isn't a True Day and Night, but nowhere does the specs state that it has a "fixed IR cut filter"

maybe you can find it in the specs......

also, the specs state that it has an "Extra Video Out Port for Installer".....it does not....

specs:

1/3" IT CCD

Ultra High Resolution : 600 TV Lines

Built in Fixed Lens (f=3.8mm)

Min. Illumination : 0.05 Lux

DNR, Auto White Balance

AGC, SBLC, Flickerless

Extra Video Out Port for Installer

3 Axis Movement for Free Lens Rotation

Vandal-Resistant Dome Housing

Diameter of Bubble : 85mm

IP65

12VDC

Signal System NTSC

Scanning System 2:1 Interlace

Scanning Frequency (H) 15.734 KHz

Scanning Frequency (V) 59.94 Hz

Image Sensor 1/3" IT CCD

Total Pixels 811(H) x 508(V) 410K

Total / Effective Pixels 768(H) x 494(V) 380K

Horizontal Resolution 600 TV Lines

Video Output 1.0V p-p (75Ω, Composite)

S/N Ratio More than 48dB(AGC Off)

Lens Fixed Lens (f=3.8mm)

Min.Illumination 0.05 Lux

AGC, SBLC Auto

White Balance Auto

AGC On/Off (Dip Switch)

Shutter Speed 1/60~1/100,000 Sec.

Supplied Voltage 12VDC

Power Consumption Max. 150mA

Dimensions(ØxH) 85Φ x 77(H) mm

Operating Temperature -10°C~45°C / Humidity 30%~80% RH Weight Approx. 376g

also here is what i received from an Expert at CNB in an email to me...

Dear, Eric.

Since there’s no OLPF (optical low-pass filter) in VFL-20S either MIR3000/ nor MIR1000 will work with on the camera.

With best regards,

*Simply the answer is NO.

Steven,

With all CCTV cameras as long as its a Color only camera its safe to assume it has a fixed IR cut filter, unless its a $20 camera.

Also, no video out port listed in the specs on the webpage but seems their PDF does list it, perhaps its a new feature and the one you received was an older model, sometimes that happens. Some of their PDFs and specs have errors in them though.

I agree though, all manufacturers should make their specs a little clearer, all of them fall short in that area though, and the fact is, one can NEVER rely on specs alone. I had cameras come that were listed on a manufacturer's site as TDN with ICR, and they didnt even have an ICR.

I wouldn't bother with the LDM-24VF either. I put in 8 for a neighbor and am having all kinds of issues with the IR. Basically, the picture at night stinks.

Well I have the VCM-24VF cameras and those things are incredible at night with practically zero light.

The LDM-24VF shares the identical specs as the VCM-24VF, but just has the IRs, outside of attracting bugs, what down side could there be.

The LDM-24VFs even have advanced IR Technology, I guess I will have to wait till I get them and see what the deal is.

Just what problems are you having, so I can look for them, and why haven't you just returned them, for something that might work better for you.

I wasnt happy with the CNB IR cameras either.

I used 2 of their TDN IR Bullets including one of the more expensive ones (2 still in the field but changing them today) and 1 of the domes . .the dome is okay for the small area I have it in though, in fact their IR Bullets was all I really had issues with.

I would suggest using the VCM-24VF or VBM-24VF and then adding IR separately.

I wasnt happy with the CNB IR cameras either.

I used 2 of their TDN IR Bullets including one of the more expensive ones (2 still in the field but changing them today) and 1 of the domes . .the dome is okay for the small area I have it in though, in fact their IR Bullets was all I really had issues with.

I would suggest using the VCM-24VF or VBM-24VF and then adding IR separately.

thats the second response of , i wasn't happy with the LDM-24VFs. but no one is being specific, just why were they not like able....

well thats my thoughts on the subject, IF they don't work for me, i will return them and go with the VCM-24VFs with separate IRs....

The IR in these cameras doesn't work worth a crap compared to even a simple bullet camera. Range is crap and the image quality at night is crap. And now after about 6 months, the image is getting that dreaded cloudy look. Take the dome off and it's fine. Put the dome back on, crap. Clean the dome, no difference. Replace the dome with a new one, no difference. I was never pleased with the night time image when they were new but my customer thought it was fine so I quit messing with them. But now they have gotten worse looking....

I'm now going to have to either replace them or add external IR to get a usable night time image.

Tip of the day, don't ever go bare back in a **ore house and don't use dome cameras with IR.

The IR in these cameras doesn't work worth a crap compared to even a simple bullet camera. Range is crap and the image quality at night is crap. And now after about 6 months, the image is getting that dreaded cloudy look. Take the dome off and it's fine. Put the dome back on, crap. Clean the dome, no difference. Replace the dome with a new one, no difference. I was never pleased with the night time image when they were new but my customer thought it was fine so I quit messing with them. But now they have gotten worse looking....

I'm now going to have to either replace them or add external IR to get a usable night time image.

Tip of the day, don't ever go bare back in a **ore house and don't use dome cameras with IR.

you say "And now after about 6 months, the image is getting that dreaded cloudy look"..meaning it took time to develop this problem, but you say that even with new domes, its still the same...

i don't understand, it took 6 months for the camera to develop cloudy look, but you get it immediately with a new domes...

you say its fine with dome off, but crap with it on, and then you say "I'm now going to have to either replace them or add external IR to get a usable night time image"..

if the image is cloudy, but fine with dome off, why would you want to add additional IR illuminators, if the cameras are cloudy...

surely you aren't going to leave domes off...

Tip of the day, if the cameras are "crap" you return them....you don't wait six or more months....

With that type of dome, it relies on the rubber ring being right up against the rounded edge of the dome cover, else the IR will cause glare back onto the lens. So it becomes a PITA when you have to adjust the camera's gimble, to be sure to make the rubber ring tight against the cover at the same time making sure the rubber does not show in the view (with a wide angle for example).

Additionally as mentioned the IR distance does not come close to that of most bullets these days.

Its just not an easy type of camera to work with. Ofcourse one could use the Turret style IR dome instead as that has the IR and camera in separate sections instead of just using a rubber ring, though still the IR distance issue and also a PITA to adjust the lens.

It gets time consuming and costly to return cameras that are crap or dont work properly, at least from here.

With that type of dome, it relies on the rubber ring being right up against the rounded edge of the dome cover, else the IR will cause glare back onto the lens. So it becomes a PITA when you have to adjust the camera's gimble, to be sure to make the rubber ring tight against the cover at the same time making sure the rubber does not show in the view (with a wide angle for example).

Additionally as mentioned the IR distance does not come close to that of most bullets these days.

Its just not an easy type of camera to work with. Ofcourse one could use the Turret style IR dome instead as that has the IR and camera in separate sections instead of just using a rubber ring, though still the IR distance issue and also a PITA to adjust the lens.

It gets time consuming and costly to return cameras that are crap or dont work properly, at least from here.

Hey Rory,

thanks for explaining it in a professional manner...i will have to look at that rubber ring, if it looks like its gonna be a future problem, i will just return and go with the VCM-24VFs and separate MIR100 IR illuminators....

the place i buy from, offers free return shipping and has a turn-around time of 4 days....

i am kinda disappointed, i was hoping for another Tip of the day....LOL

Eric

I dont know if that particular dome costs more than the VCM-24VF or not, but you might also be able to disable the IR on that dome. Sometimes though when disabling the IR the camera stays in BW, depends on the camera. Also if you already have it, then its probably worth keeping, just have to make sure get that rubber ring up tight against the cover each time you make adjustments. The CNB IR Dome I used had a fixed lens so it may differ a little from that one.

I dont know if that particular dome costs more than the VCM-24VF or not, but you might also be able to disable the IR on that dome. Sometimes though when disabling the IR the camera stays in BW, depends on the camera. Also if you already have it, then its probably worth keeping, just have to make sure get that rubber ring up tight against the cover each time you make adjustments. The CNB IR Dome I used had a fixed lens so it may differ a little from that one.

well i have been thinking about it, and based on your description of a potential problem , i have decided to go with what i know works, which is the VCM-24VFs instead, and just add the MIR1000 IR, gonna go with that IR, as it appears provides a larger dispersion pattern. 30 degrees....

To clarify, the image got worse after about 6 months. It wasn't great to begin with but the IR performance got worse. Even when new, you will find that the IR doesn't have the range or performance of a bullet or external illuminator. And as Rory has pointed out, they are more of a pain to adjust and to get the lense seated properly when re-installing the dome.

I'm an installer and it's not as easy to return cameras, especially when they have been opened and installed.

Ditto.

this post was offered for those who are not so called "experts", it was posted for those like myself who are new to the field, and still searching for answers...

true it isn't a True Day and Night, but nowhere does the specs state that it has a "fixed IR cut filter"

A fixed IR cut filter is assumed unless otherwise stated. All color cameras use them, otherwise the IR light will negatively affect color balance and exposure.

also, the specs state that it has an "Extra Video Out Port for Installer".....it does not....

The camera should have come with a short lead with a yellow RCA jack on one end and a small plastic two-pin connector on the other end. This plugs into a matching port on the interface board inside the camera. The manual shows the cable on pages 8, 9 and 10 as "Service Monitor Cable". The diagram on page 33 shows the port, labelled "f - Service Monitor Connector" and states, "Use service monitor connector to set camera angle and focus while installing."

It doesn't take an "expert" to read the manual.

If the camera did not include the cable or manual, you may want to make sure you're buying from a CNB authorized seller.

Ditto.

A fixed IR cut filter is assumed unless otherwise stated. All color cameras use them, otherwise the IR light will negatively affect color balance and exposure.

The camera should have come with a short lead with a yellow RCA jack on one end and a small plastic two-pin connector on the other end.

yes i know what it looks like, it came with my VCM-24VF

This plugs into a matching port on the interface board inside the camera. The manual shows the cable on pages 8, 9 and 10 as "Service Monitor Cable". The diagram on page 33 shows the port, labelled "f - Service Monitor Connector" and states, "Use service monitor connector to set camera angle and focus while installing."

well i looked , saw no area, to plug into on camera...

your get there one day...give it time...

If the camera did not include the cable or manual, you may want to make sure you're buying from a CNB authorized seller.

and the cameras where bought from a authorized dealer, recommended by CNB, the store is called surveillance-video, out of NYC

Ditto.

The camera should have come with a short lead with a yellow RCA jack on one end and a small plastic two-pin connector on the other end. This plugs into a matching port on the interface board inside the camera. The manual shows the cable on pages 8, 9 and 10 as "Service Monitor Cable". The diagram on page 33 shows the port, labelled "f - Service Monitor Connector" and states, "Use service monitor connector to set camera angle and focus while installing."

one more thing, the documentation that came with the camera, consisted of a folded pamphlet, NOT a manual, there was no more then one page, no pages 8,9, 10,,, if your referring to multiple pages, obviously you didn't read my post, the camera i was discussing was the

V F L 2 0 S

The DFL doesnt have the service monitor output, this is the vandal version of that so not sure if it would.

The store mentioned tends to have various ages of cameras so if a newer version might have it, and the older one doesnt, you may have got the older version - from their sister company (123) I got 3 versions of the VBM-24VF in an order last year, though in that case it was just some OSD changes. Its also possible it was a returned item sent out by mistake.

one more thing, the documentation that came with the camera, consisted of a folded pamphlet, NOT a manual, there was no more then one page, no pages 8,9, 10,,, if your referring to multiple pages, obviously you didn't read my post, the camera i was discussing was the

V F L 2 0 S

This manual that's included with the VCM-24VF is 54 pages, titled "Super High resolution 600TVL Owner's Manual", contains instructions applicable to a wide range of different cameras, and packing lists under five categories: "General Dome Camera (A, B Type)", "General Dome Camera (C Type)", "Vandal proof Dome Camera", "Flush Dome Camera (Flush Type)" and "Flush Dome Camera (Surface Type)". Every CNB camera I've installed has included a similar manual; a few have included the pamphlet as well.

So again, if your packaging does not include everything it should, perhaps you should check with the seller.

This manual that's included with the VCM-24VF is 54 pages, titled "Super High resolution 600TVL Owner's Manual", contains instructions applicable to a wide range of different cameras, and packing lists under five categories: "General Dome Camera (A, B Type)", "General Dome Camera (C Type)", "Vandal proof Dome Camera", "Flush Dome Camera (Flush Type)" and "Flush Dome Camera (Surface Type)". Every CNB camera I've installed has included a similar manual; a few have included the pamphlet as well.

So again, if your packaging does not include everything it should, perhaps you should check with the seller.

he's talking about the VFL-20s not the VCM-24VF

I realize that, that's why I pointed out that this is a VERY generic manual that's obviously designed to be included with a number of different cameras.

thanks for trying to clarify the camera in question, i had a feeling that Soundy hadn't read my post correctly....mistakes happen..

the camera did have the pamphlet that was specific to the VFL20S...