chevalij

Pelco Cameras don't move

Hi, first post and I hate to say it's out of desperation. I'm responsible for the remote installation (2000 miles away) of two Pelco III cameras along with a MUX, two dedicated monitors and a KBD300A controller. I've been informed that while trying to fix something else in the building, they shut off facility power and then reset it. Problem is, now the camera's don't move. They show an image, but are not controllable with the joystick.

The system powers up, says CONFIG DONE and that's it. Going into the setup by pressing 95 PRESET on the KBD300A does get them into the setup menu, but the joystick doesn't work. The cameras are staring at the ground and don't move... There are a few preset positions, but no programmed scanning or anything like that. Any ideas?

If you can get into the PTZs' setup menus via , it appears that you do have communication between the controller and the joystick. Can you also cycle through the menus using the joystick? If not, the problem appears to point to the joystick itself.

What kind of mux, is it a genex providing coaxitron?

Yes, it's an Pelco MX4004CD mux that uses Coaxitron for controlling the cameras. I can get into the setup using the keys on the controller, but NO menu control with the joystick. I initially thought joystick, but does it make sense that it would die after a power reset ?

When you lost power the termination may have reset to HIZ instead of 75ohm, this will lose the control. You should put the mux on a UPS

I still say that the joystick is the issue. You are able to access the PTZs' setup menus and call presets using the controller, which means communications are there but the joystick part of the controller doesn't do anything. I'm not familiar with the KBD300A itself so you could explore the possibility its joystick settings need to be re-programmed but the fact that the controller does access some PTZ functions likely precludes communications problems; including the MUX.

Are you sure it is a KBD300A, and not a KBD4000A? I thought the KBD300A was only for matrix/direct wire operation, and the KBD4000A was for direct Genex control.

Anyway, you might check the programming in the Genex, and make sure the Coaxitron control is set for extended (32 bit) operation, not standard (16 bit) control.

Manual here, http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/852575770039EC5E/All/873F27146A0F677485257633005C69E7/$File/c1995ma.pdf, Page 37 for PTZ settings. You may want to try a complete reset of the Genex, as well (page 44).

I still say that the joystick is the issue. You are able to access the PTZs' setup menus and call presets using the controller, which means communications are there but the joystick part of the controller doesn't do anything. I'm not familiar with the KBD300A itself so you could explore the possibility its joystick settings need to be re-programmed but the fact that the controller does access some PTZ functions likely precludes communications problems; including the MUX.

I just received some updates. First, sorry but it is a KBD4000A. And the information I just received tells me the cameras don't move at all, presets or not. The screens shows the boot sequence, displays CONFIG DONE SW1[] or similar and then...... nothing. Sorry if the info is lacking, but I'm dealing through email with a person who knows less than me, which is amazingly little.

Can I advise them to do a reset on the MX4004 mux ?

A reset will not hurt, but you will lose all customized settings, make sure the user can walk with you through the process of reprogramming the mux (most specifically, the Coaxitron settings).

Pressing and holding the individual camera number buttons on the mux is a fast way to get to those settings.

Also, the mux must be set to "spot" on the keyboard, and the correct camera called up, to operate the Spectra's.

One other thing to check would be to see if the keyboard controls any of the mux operation at all (changing camera outputs, etc.) If not, a reset might be in order.