able1

On Board SD Memory for Cameras

Would someone please explain the reason for and/or the best use of the memory cards that are on board certain IP cameras??

To be specific as it relates to the VIVOTEK cameras.

I can't seem to find any reference other than where the slot is and what is to be put there.

TIA

Les

The reason? Pretty simple: onboard storage reduces or eliminates the need for other storage (at additional cost). Or provides backup storage in case primary storage or network fails. Or allows you to remove the storage from the camera for offline viewing. I'm sure others can come up with a dozen other examples...

Put simply: it just gives you more options for installation and operation. "Best use" is whatever fits your needs.

I am using two Vivotek cameras which have SD memory (32GB) and actually I am thinking about using SD memory or network storage. It mainly depends on the hours or days you would like to store movies on SD memory. If one day is enough, SD memory can store movies with good quality. For example, if you are using a Megapixel camera like Vivotek IP8332, and if you set quality, framerate and resolution to max. values you will find that a 32GB SD card will store only some hours but not a complete day. So, one solution would be to reduce the quality/resolution (but: why did you buy a megapixel camera at all? ), or just to use network storage instead. Another idea would be to move the movies from SD card to network storage in regular time intervalls but in that case you could use the network storage already in the first step, because the move also needs hours on the network.

For Vivotek cameras, you could record based only on detected motions, but unfortunately the resulting videoclips are restriced to 20 sec and 4MByte (and for high res/best quality this means only a few seconds (5-10 sec). So in most cases longer events (triggered by motion) are not recorded completely.

The same is true for the adaptive recording where the Vivotek cameras reduces the frame rate when no motion is detected. In that case you will get records with low framerate and only for short duration within the motion event higher frame rates.

I have a Vivotek FD8161 here in my shop, Ive been tinkering with it. I have a customer who has a large retirement home. I already have a system there, the network is severely outdated and needless to say they want to add some sort of surveillance in some remote hallways. They dont have the budget to upgrade there network, or have the added cost of wiring....etc.

I am trying to utilize a camera similar to the FD8161, and utilize the onboard storage. I have it set up for motion, and have it taking 3 snapshots before the motion and 3 snapshots after.... The problem I am running into is that it is doing this periodic recording every minute....that I havent set it for.....and its eating up the SD card space.

Anybody have any advice on this, I cannot find anyway to "turn off" the periodic recording..

Basically I wanna use this unit as a glorified "trial camera"...

THX

I am trying to utilize a camera similar to the FD8161, and utilize the onboard storage. I have it set up for motion, and have it taking 3 snapshots before the motion and 3 snapshots after.... The problem I am running into is that it is doing this periodic recording every minute....that I havent set it for.....and its eating up the SD card space.

Hmm, if it's a Vivotek, check the following

- in the menu "Configuration" -> "Application":

In the section "Event Settings", is there any event defined with a Trigger "seq" ? If true, set Status to "off".

-in the menu "Configuration" -> "Recording":

Is there any setting defined in section "Recording Settings"? If true, set status to "off"

I got it figured out...took some tinkering. It still does the periodic video though. Im waiting for my email from tech support. Im guessing this is a built-in script that is default. Im guessing that typically, these cameras arent used this way, and this is a safety feature so if the network goes down you have some images recorded....until the network comes up.

This is what I have it setup as: (see if I have anything obviously wrong--I dont see anything about periodic video)

VivoApp-1.jpg

VivoRec-1.jpg

VivoLocalStorage-1.jpg

20110708_103215-1.jpg

This is the image that I captured this morning, I have the quality turned down to allow for a smaller file. Still pretty decent still shot.

It still does the periodic video though.

Of course you get it, because in the "Recording Settings" you still have an entry "Record" which is "ON". If you switch that off, the periodic video should be gone, and only the motion related videoclips defined in the Event settings ("Motion Areas") should appear.

Thanks to all for the good input.

I see the value of SD card in most environments. However I see little value in my current application, but then maybe I am wrong. (first time this year)

I know there are a lot of variables involved but what would be the minimum and maximum size SD everyone would install??

Again thanks for the input.

Les

I know there are a lot of variables involved but what would be the minimum and maximum size SD everyone would install??

Largest you can afford? Flash memory is cheap, the more the merrier!

Largest you can afford? Flash memory is cheap, the more the merrier!

Well I guess I should have typed that myself. But really what size are you guys using??

I will make it a little easier.

.... 4Gig?

........ 8Gig?

................ 16Gig?

................................ 32Gig?

................................................................ 64Gig?

TIA

Les

Oh, and the other question is what Mfg. proves to be the best for SD-HC memory??

Kingston??

SanDisk??

Other??

Or are they all made in the same plant and just different label put on before they go out the door??

Thanks,

Les

I am using 32GB Transcend Class 4.

As far as I know SDHC standard is limited to 32GB, SD cards with larger memory size follow the SDXC standard with up to 2048 GB, but depending on the camery I believe, that SDXC might not be supported by most of the cameras. If you plan to use a memory card, I would recommend to use the max size the camera supports.

Another important point is the speed the memory card can be written. For example, my SDHC card as Class 4 according to standard has to provide 4 MByte/s, but it's reported that 5.5 Mbyte/s are really possible. In general it' a good idea to compare the measured speeds of the cards. It can happen that some Class 2 cards are faster than Class 4 cards. Look to measures where larger blocks (e.g. 4 Mbyte) are used for transfer in the tests.

Vivotek offers a nice tool for free download, which delivers the actual speed the camera is using for one of the configured streams. There you can see which speed is required depending on the video settings.

As far as I know SDHC standard is limited to 32GB, SD cards with larger memory size follow the SDXC standard with up to 2048 GB, but depending on the camery I believe, that SDXC might not be supported by most of the cameras.

Good point... also note that if the camera doesn't specifically list SDHC, it may be limited to 2GB (SD spec).

This holds true of card readers, too - a number of cheap readers still only do SD (2GB max), and a larger card will simply appear as unformatted or unreadable, if it appears at all. Make sure the reader says it supports SDHC or SDXC... whichever it states on the card itself.

It still does the periodic video though.

Of course you get it, because in the "Recording Settings" you still have an entry "Record" which is "ON". If you switch that off, the periodic video should be gone, and only the motion related videoclips defined in the Event settings ("Motion Areas") should appear.

That was it, I was overlooking that. You were correct, switched that off and nothing but snapshots. Thanks. " title="Applause" />