mchapman

Transformer Enclosure

Hi,

Can anyone share advice with me regarding how to go about building an enclosure that looks like an electrical transformer (the kind that's mounted to a utility pole)? I wouldn't mind obtaining an empty transformer --- if there is such a thing---to take a look at it and to maybe use it as a form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

You mean a pole pig like this???

220pxPolemountsinglephasecloseup-1.jpg

You should try visiting scrap yards, dumps, etc to see if they have any old ones. They are usually recycled for their metal windings inside. Also, call your local POCO (power company) to see if they have any busted old ones you could have or buy.

Some people buy them and run them in reverse (240V across the secondary) so they can have many kilovolts at a couple amps to play with (fun arcs!).

If you do find some, there will be many different sizes that vary by their current capacity. There is a cap on the top, and then the transformer inside. The whole thing is filled with mineral oil. Some weigh 400+ pounds. They are 100% waterproof (they must be!), so filling one with electronics shouldn't be a problem.

Now if you are wanting to hide equipment in one of these, I'd recommend you get a below-ground connected transformer. (Those big green boxes you see in neighborhoods, or anywhere the power lines are buried). It will look better and blend in. They have locks on them as well.

Keep in mind, if you're planning on finding a used transformer like this, that older versions of them may have used PCBs - hazardous chemicals - as a filler, rather than mineral oil. Most of these, in most areas, should have long since been removed from service and properly disposed of... but there's always the chance of coming across one.

Thanks for the input guys. I found a company that sells the transformers. They are willing to sell me an empty enclosure...I will make sure to ask them about PCB's.

Next step would be to figure out how to mount an IP camera within the enclosure, and to keep it covert.

Thanks,

Mike