Blake CCTV

no display even with VNC

Help I have a remote PC that has a display fault when the monitor was turned on it would go off again as there seems to be no video coming from the video card i thought i might be able to connect to it using VNC but still have no display although i can connect to it.

I was trying to reboot it but can't do this without the display, any ideas?

If you can connect, try telling VNC to send a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then just issue the appropriate commands "blind". If memory serves, for XP, you'd hit Alt-S for Shutdown, the just tap R to select Restart from the dropdown list, and Enter to apply it.

That assumes C-A-D calls the lock/shutdown screen, of course - on some XP systems it just pulls up the task manager.

VNC should also be able to send a Windows key, which will pop up the Start menu... then tap U for the Shutdown dialog (or might be Alt-U), and R for Restart.

This should also work for previous versions of Windows... not sure about Vista or 7 tho.

If you can connect, try telling VNC to send a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then just issue the appropriate commands "blind". If memory serves, for XP, you'd hit Alt-S for Shutdown, the just tap R to select Restart from the dropdown list, and Enter to apply it.

That assumes C-A-D calls the lock/shutdown screen, of course - on some XP systems it just pulls up the task manager.

VNC should also be able to send a Windows key, which will pop up the Start menu... then tap U for the Shutdown dialog (or might be Alt-U), and R for Restart.

This should also work for previous versions of Windows... not sure about Vista or 7 tho.

Thanks for the ideas I had tried these but to no avail as the PC is a DVR and that program has to be shut down aswell I have abeen to site today and confirmed it is the video card, so at least I have learned that video on VNC will only work if the video card is ok on the remote PC.

Thanks anyway

For future reference, you could try using UltraVNC and installing its "Mirror Driver", which as I understand it, installs as a "shim" video card so the system "displays" direct to VNC, rather than VNC scanning and re-sending the desktop. It makes for WAY faster display (you can even comfortably watch live video on it) and may get around the issue of a failed card blocking remote display. www.uvnc.com

For future reference, you could try using UltraVNC and installing its "Mirror Driver", which as I understand it, installs as a "shim" video card so the system "displays" direct to VNC, rather than VNC scanning and re-sending the desktop. It makes for WAY faster display (you can even comfortably watch live video on it) and may get around the issue of a failed card blocking remote display. http://www.uvnc.com

Thanks will try this