Why do we require IR Illuminator?

When a True Day and Night camera which is IR sensitive can sense the video at pitch dark condition then what is the need of IR Illuminator? Is this for a longer distance? like in a situation where we require the camera to view certain object at pitch dark condition or something else? Please clarify

When a True Day and Night camera which is IR sensitive can sense the video at pitch dark condition

It cannot sense anything in pitch dark. Every camera needs *some* light. This is why you need an illuminator. Hence, the term for cameras that are "ir sensitive".

In most applications there's usually some source of light, street lights, exterior flood lights, etc.

The IR illuminators make up for poor sensors in low quality cameras, and can give a more even spread of IR producing a better quality image.

Very rarely (read: never) do I use IR illuminators.

I do use thermal cameras every now and then though if the situation requires.

Why do we require IR Illuminator?

When a True Day and Night camera which is IR sensitive can sense the video at pitch dark condition then what is the need of IR Illuminator? Is this for a longer distance? like in a situation where we require the camera to view certain object at pitch dark condition or something else? Please clarify

A camera cannot see in the pitch dark, therefore you have to add Visible or Infrared light.

The more light the better the picture.

Some cameras come with Infrared built in.

Examples of applications that may require Infrared:

-Retail store at night

-Residential Applications

-Night Clubs

-LPR

Hi Rory , thanks for the reply.

yes you are right Rory, There are some cameras where the sensor is IR sensitive, which means it has IR cut filter, meaning, In day time t allows the camera to see the object which Human eye can see, and at night the IR Cut filter removal can get activated so that the camera can see at pitch dark , so the camera will capture the object and displays us in a black and white manner, so in this case the display will be black and white for the user am i right...........but I am talking about the IR Illuminators , There are some customers who wants to use external IR Illuminators , what is the purpose of it ??

Edited by Guest

but I am talking about the IR Illuminators , There are some customers who wants to use external IR cameras , what is the purpose of it ??

the IR Illuminators, or an IR camera?

You are confusing me.

In any event, Infrared is used to see in the dark.

a Black and White camera DOES NOT see in the pitch dark and in most cases can be useless in very low lighting, so that is why Infrared is added.

...and at night the IR Cut filter removal can get activated so that the camera can see at pitch dark , so the camera will capture the object and displays us in a black and white manner, so in this case the display will be black and white for the user am i right...........

No. TDN cameras cannot see in complete darkness.

Cameras require light to create an image - that's basic physics and the theory behind pretty much any type of camera, be it an SLR, a pocket camera, video camera, CCTV, whatever; it applies whether you're talking about digital sensors or film, too.

It means there has to be SOME source of light to illuminate the target object(s). TDN cameras work a lot BETTER with LOW light, because the lack of IR cut filter means they get more of the light that's already present at the long end of the spectrum... but they still need SOME light.

An IR illuminator is a pretty simple concept: imagine taking a flashlight and shining it on your scene... except instead of visible (near-)white light, you're using light at the very bottom end of the visible spectrum, where's it's not going to be obvious to the human eye. That's all you're doing: shining an LED flashlight on your subject(s).

Hi Rory ,Please look at the below concept of ICR, I am getting confused between ICR, IR Illuminators, Day and Night camera( which is IR sensitive ) , One of our customer uses a Bosch camera which is not exactly day and night camera , He has used IR Illuminator ( 64mts , 715nm ) but he is not able to see the video at night ? so what does he needs to do in order to see

ICR (Infrared Cut-Filter Removal) works in two ways.

On box cameras the the filter sits in front of the CCD module.

The filter is rectangular in shape and is split into two parts.

One side is IR sensitive the other blocks out IR to achieve the correct colors.

It is powered by magnets to switch it on or off. When there is an electric field it will slide the correct side over.

This is controlled by the separate ICR chip. The chip is activated by an external CDS sensor.

So when it gets dark then the ICR is activated. Its kinda like the ones that turn on the LED's.