ulterior_motive

Help, Current Q3/2011 Geovision capture card differences

I have had experience with Geovision,

From my GV800 to my GV600, and now its time for an upgrade.

I was thinking maybe a standalone DVR unit, but every corner i turn, i am stonewalled. So i said i might as well stick to what i know best and that's computers and GEOVISION capture cards.

So now, I'm looking at the current lineup of cards, and i cant figure out which ones are good for me. I need minimum 12 cameras in my store, so i was thinking a 16 camera configuration would be ideal, which give me enough empty slots to add more later.

MAIN NEEDS

RESOLUTION

Every company gives out these letters and numbers, D1, CIF, 4CIF. I just want to see faces when a customer walks in, or steals from me

FPS

I need minimum 30fps per channel at the resolution that i am looking for.

And I'm assuming that the software hasn't changed much in the sense that they wouldn't take out any useful options that I've grown accustomed to over the years.

AND last but not least,

off site monitoring, It's been a pain in the rear with the old software that my capture card supported, hopefully they updated the program.

So, any help will be appreciated GREATLY.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read.

So now, I'm looking at the current lineup of cards, and i cant figure out which ones are good for me. I need minimum 12 cameras in my store, so i was thinking a 16 camera configuration would be ideal, which give me enough empty slots to add more later.

MAIN NEEDS

RESOLUTION

Every company gives out these letters and numbers, D1, CIF, 4CIF. I just want to see faces when a customer walks in, or steals from me

Depending how you have your Video Source configured in Geo, you can go up to 640x480 for recording. If you're worried about resolution, you can always add a Geo IP cam or 4 (up to 20 with 8.4 software) to your system for higher resolution in critical areas and not worry about any licensing fees.

FPS

I need minimum 30fps per channel at the resolution that i am looking for.

If you absolutely need 30 FPS you'll need to go with the 1480 card but chances are 15 FPS would probably be sufficient so a 1240 card would work.

And I'm assuming that the software hasn't changed much in the sense that they wouldn't take out any useful options that I've grown accustomed to over the years.

Depends on what software version you'll be running. They've added some new functionality, moved items around to different menus and left out some useful items. Best bet is to go the Geo website and review the changes to the software releases. One other thing, the software has definitely become more "bloated" since Version 8.2 so you'll need a good server platform.

AND last but not least,

off site monitoring, It's been a pain in the rear with the old software that my capture card supported, hopefully they updated the program.

Never had a problem with remote monitoring with Geo. You still have Single View, Multiview, Remote ViewLog along with Smartphone, IPhone, IPad and Android with the later Geo software.

Honestly, 15FPS is fine for most situations. But since you mentioned you run a store - I can see where 30FPS would be required for slight-of-hand movements (like sneaking stuff into pockets).

I haven't used Geovision before - but if you really can add IP cameras without paying outrageous license fees - I say do it! (As long as you have the money!) You could benefit a lot from added resolution. As long as your store is well-lit - you will be good-to-go.

Now, if you end up looking for a real nice 16ch DVR, I highly recommend Samsungs SRD series of DVRs. The SRD-1670DC if you need 16-ch.

Depending how you have your Video Source configured in Geo, you can go up to 640x480 for recording. If you're worried about resolution, you can always add a Geo IP cam or 4 (up to 20 with 8.4 software) to your system for higher resolution in critical areas and not worry about any licensing fees.

I've been looking at IP cameras for a while now, and i have been wondering how these work, does it connect to the capture card via a LAN cable? or does it connect to a router/modem/hub/switch and the Geovision program has to be configured to make lets say channel 1 play the stream from IP camera? and do all IP cameras come with a IP that's licensed and paid for or is it up to the company to issue a IP address and a annual fee?

If you absolutely need 30 FPS you'll need to go with the 1480 card but chances are 15 FPS would probably be sufficient so a 1240 card would work.

I absolutely need 30 FPS, i own and operate a retail store and checking out the specs of the 1240 (i'm assuming 1240A) would i require 2 capture cards paired to make 16 channels?

Looking at the specs, this is what i understand, please correct me if i'm wrong.

CIF - 240 fps (means 15fps for 16 channel total)

D1 - 120 fps (means 7.5fps for 16 channel total)

Turbo VGA - 240 fps (means 15fps for 16 channel total)

Turbo D1 - 240 fps (means 15fps for 16 channel total)

Are these fps per card of 8 channels? is it only 8 channels per card?

Also whats turbo VGA and turbo D1?

source - http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV1240A.asp

Depends on what software version you'll be running. They've added some new functionality, moved items around to different menus and left out some useful items. Best bet is to go the Geo website and review the changes to the software releases. One other thing, the software has definitely become more "bloated" since Version 8.2 so you'll need a good server platform.

I originally had ver. 6.01, and the highest i can upgrade to was a 7.2 if i'm not mistaken, my capture cards firmware was to old for the new software versions said the techs over at Geovision.com, and the kick in the bum, the highest version my card can handle isn't windows 7 compatible, which i don't see being a problem because I've been reading some negative comments towards windows 7 on these forums

Never had a problem with remote monitoring with Geo. You still have Single View, Multiview, Remote ViewLog along with Smartphone, IPhone, IPad and Android with the later Geo software.

Only thing that worked for me was webbrowser, and then it just stopped, then i think i got multiview to work, but the program supplied with cd was really outdated, and the new versions didnt work with the old cards.

Also can somebody respond to this and tell me if these resolutions are correct.

D1 - 720X480

CIF - 352x240

And, if i was to buy a standard BNC camera, i notice everybody mentions lines, 500, 550, 700 and so on. Are the lines related to resolution in any way?

Honestly, 15FPS is fine for most situations. But since you mentioned you run a store - I can see where 30FPS would be required for slight-of-hand movements (like sneaking stuff into pockets).

Yea, i just responded, and 30 fps is a must, especially for slight of hand and whatnot

Now, if you end up looking for a real nice 16ch DVR, I highly

recommend Samsungs SRD series of DVRs. The SRD-1670DC if you need 16-ch.

Hey Birdman, you've been helping me out on another thread i started,

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26585&p=161825#p161825,

i just thought i'd inquire over here seeing as though i'm very familiar with PC based systems.

On a side-note, which cameras did you use for your friends cottage?

Ok, i just took 2 capture screens from 2 seperate angles of my store, this is the quality im working with. By updating the cameras and updating the card to a newer card, will i get a clearer image?

Original resolution was 320x240, i only cropped rather then shrink to show exactly what i see on my end.

I was told these cameras were 450 or 500 lines whatever that means.

But they are those mass produced dime a dozen cameras costing about 50 dollars.

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

I initially bought this system from a company in Toronto, they installed it and i was off. a year down the line i had pc issues, called them up and they had gone bankrupt. So with my background knowledge of PC technician, i took matters into my own hands and upgraded the entire unit.

So i am using original cameras but the system has been updated.

741108725_imagetest1.png.4661f65dce5bf6b13de016440349e3e3.png

1277646742_imagetest2.png.4cae3aacb732b8e6d659dc29b90918c8.png

Ignore the TVL, go by the "Effective pixels", most will list that in the specs.

Typically 480-700TVL cameras would be 811x508 (NTSC)

Geovision software is not what it used to be, now it needs a super computer, especially with 8.4

Ive since moved away and gone back to stand alones, happy so far, much less work and less headaches.

However I still support some Geos, Geo will typically have better recorded video quality than the stand alone I use, but more difficult to share the video outside of EzViewLog (eg. it uses propitiatory codecs, the stand alone converts to standard H264 AVI). The Live and Network video quality is much better on the stand alone, but it has no advanced search features like Geo. It takes 3 minutes to plug in the stand alone and its up and running, 1-2 days to load windows and geo software, tweak, test, etc - less setup time with the Standalone. 25watts power consumption with the stand alone, the PC uses more like 200+. Both support IP cameras in one way or another. The standalone has Mac and Linux remote video software. Its much cheaper. Geo will load in a preset multiview and user account, the stand alone uses the default multiview and basic built in user account.

There are pros and cons to both.

Geovision software is not what it used to be, now it needs a super computer, especially with 8.4

Ive since moved away and gone back to stand alones, happy so far, much less work and less headaches.

However I still support some Geos, Geo will typically have better recorded video quality than the stand alone I use, but more difficult to share the video outside of EzViewLog (eg. it uses propitiatory codecs, the stand alone converts to standard H264 AVI). The Live and Network video quality is much better on the stand alone, but it has no advanced search features like Geo. It takes 3 minutes to plug in the stand alone and its up and running, 1-2 days to load windows and geo software, tweak, test, etc - less setup time with the Standalone. 25watts power consumption with the stand alone, the PC uses more like 200+. Both support IP cameras in one way or another. The standalone has Mac and Linux remote video software. Its much cheaper. Geo will load in a preset multiview and user account, the stand alone uses the default multiview and basic built in user account.

Going with your signature, i'm assuming you are directly affiliated with bahamassecurity website, and i see that you are dealing with geovision, and dahua. Is there a specific model of dahua system i should be looking at for my needs?

Edited by Guest

Going with your signature, i'm assuming you are directly affiliated with bahamassecurity website, and i see that you are dealing with geovision, and dahua. Is there a specific model of dahua system i should be looking at for my needs?