kurtwm

unable to install phone software

First, I am new to this forum and if I am posting in the wrong category I do apologize. Hopefully I can get some help.

I purchased a Verizon HTC mwp 6985 running Windows Phone 7. When I asked the sales guy for a phone I asked for one that runs Mobile Windows, but this is what he sold me. I just didn't know any better.

I am trying to download a file KMEyesetup.cab when I found out that the phone does not accept this type of file but wants an xcap file type. The file is a client program (I guess a plugin-type) that accepts streaming video from a surveillance DVR. The questions that I have are:

1. Did I make a big mistake by purchasing this phone (I kind of like it otherwise)

2. Is there a way to convert from cab to xcap file

3. Does anyone know of another program that I could try to display my streaming video?

I do appreciate any help I may get here.

so basically microsoft wrote a new operating system which starts at WP7 and is not backwards compatible with older versions of Windows Mobile. The older versions of Windows Mobile go up to 6.5.

Older versions program files are .CAB

Newer versions are .XCAP

1. Did I make a big mistake by purchasing this phone (I kind of like it otherwise)

*depends on what you need it for primarily. to each their own. my analogy for this phone against more popular ones like Iphone or Android. There is Coke and there is Pepsi. Everything else is pretty much a joke. Yes, there is RC Cola but most people drink Coke or Pepsi. Now can WP7 be Coke or Pepsi? Not right now but who knows down the road.

2. Is there a way to convert from cab to xcap file

*no. it has to be rewritten and compiled for the new platform.

3. Does anyone know of another program that I could try to display my streaming video?

*for WP7 phones they have their own app store. look on there for cctv apps. I would suspect there is at least 1. the issue you will run into though is which cctv hardware will be supported in the app. we do mobile cctv apps (not for WP7 but for older Winmo 6.5, iphone, blackberry, and android) and can tell you we specifically support certain hardware as shown for example in our Compatibility List (search TotalControlApp on google and go to Compatibility List link under Support). not all hardware supports the same video streaming method so it is not a given that an app on a phone, computer, etc. will automatically support all cctv hardware on the market.

so if you did not get the cctv hardware yet check the cctv apps on the app store for your phone and look for their supported hardware list. then get cctv hardware that is on that supported list.