shreddingax

Can I input CCTV Camera into my Smartphone

Would love to be able to plug a CCTV Camera into my HTC Sensation Smartphone to act as a temporary montior during camera setup. The CCTV monitors that I have bought in the past quit working (who knows why, I think they are just a poorly made product most of them).

Thanks for any input.

Yea, cheap mini-monitors with RCA inputs are best.

I don't think your phone will be able to do that. At least if its an analog cam... Maybe with a bunch of hacking you could connect a Composite->USB converter to it and use that. But I doubt it!

Obviously with IP cameras, if there is a wifi network that you can connect to, and connect to the camera with - then that could help!

the smart phone registers as a smart phone device, not a monitor... no go here, the amount of hacking wouldnt be worth your time to do this. im sure craigslist has some people selling monitors for cheap you can pick up.

You could use an IP encoder and wireless router, then view that via the smartphone's browser, although it would get pretty convoluted, and you'd need either an encoder that can send a stream without requiring ActiveX, or a smartphone that supports ActiveX. It would also be a bulky setup with a bunch of cables and you'd have to power everything.

For far less than the cost of that setup, you could just get a portable DVD player for <$100 and be done with it. My coworker and I each picked up one of these recently: DVD player, TV, A/V input, SD-card reader and USB host to read video files off flash media (I loaded up an SD card with test pattern JPGs and short video clips). Built-in battery, and the thing is super-lightweight. On sale for $50 too!

Thanks for all the replies. The portable DVD player sounds like the most economical way. I went to purchase one and saw no input ports on the DVD player. What ports are you plugging into to get your camera feed through to the DVD player?

You need to look for one that specifically lists "A/V input" or similar. Most do, but quite a few don't.

That Haier unit I picked up, BTW, also has an ATSC (aka digital-TV) tuner, so it'll work with the new digital standard. Pretty nice!

Would love to be able to plug a CCTV Camera into my HTC Sensation Smartphone to act as a temporary montior during camera setup. The CCTV monitors that I have bought in the past quit working (who knows why, I think they are just a poorly made product most of them).

Thanks for any input.

I take it this would not be for focusing though?

If you do get a portable DVD though make sure get one with a swivel screen.

Cant always hold the monitor in one hand, balance on the top of a ladder, and adjust the camera.

Having a swivel screen you can rest it on the top of the ladder and not have to be right up at the top of it looking down at the LCD.

Ive been using one with the swivel screen for several months now and went to use a flat one yesterday and it was certainly not easy.

I normally break out the 9" CRT to focus though. That rests on the top swing down piece of the ladder.