Seitz333

Wire Jacket Color For Video

Hey All,

I did a search but could not find anything, I'm getting ready to replace my COAX with CAT6. Since I have the option of choosing the color of the wire jacket I was wondering if there is standard color used to identify a wire that is used for video. This would help quickly identify from my other CAT6 wires that are being used for computer networking and phone lines. I'm thinking of using either Orange, Red, or Yellow for the video wires.

Thanks,

Chuck

There's no national code requiring it, but a lot of states and local codes specify fire alarm cable must be red. Because of that, I would avoid using it for anything else... never a good idea to anger the fire marshal.

If you're color coding your cabling, green is very common for security, it's what I see specified by a lot of the big engineering firms and architects typically.

Again, there's national standard and you can do whatever you like. Network guys like to use their own color coding for cat5e, something like using blue for workstations, gray for patch cables, orange to go off to other racks, yellow for critical systems, etc. or whatever else. All preference, as long as the system makes sense to you.

Yup - I've seen green used before.

If you for-sure want to differentiate between power/video cables and other stuff, don't use blue or gray/white - that is probably the most common colors I've seen. (Especially in homes/small business).