Numb-nuts

Homeplugs to connect DVR to Router?

I am doing all my learning at home, I want to connect my DVR to the internet and need to connect the

DVR to my router but don't want cable runs through the house. I would like to use the Homeplug system

to connect through the electricity wiring in my home. I honestly don't know what speed I should be using

as I want to then connect to the internet and have the PTZ controllable from a remote control room.

Are Homeplug suitable, what speed should I buy as my router will shortly be swapped up to a 802.11n (300Mbps)

and my computers are all 802.11n? I know I have to check it supports port forwarding but I am advised most

802.11n routers will support it.

Sorry I will be supporting upto 7 static cameras (after DVR upgrade) and one PTZ camera to be remotely controlled over internet.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

802.11n is a wireless spec and applies only to the wireless connection. The wired LAN ports on the router are going to be either 100 megabit, or 1 gigabit. The port on your DVR is probably 100 megabit as well.

All that aside, if you're mainly going to be watching this over the internet, there's no point in worrying about your Homeplug connection being any faster than your internet connection's uplink speed, since that's likely not going to be more than 1-2 megabit (and possibly as low as 128 kilobit).

Power-line networking works great. I have a couple of D-Link modules from a couple years ago. They worked fine. They did run rather hot though.

Also, depending on how the wiring is in your home (I dunno how its done in UK) you will have a reduced signal on the other phase of the split-phase transformer that feeds your house. This basically only applies to homes in the US I believe, where the output from the transformer is 120v - neutral - 120v. If you connect to both 120v's you get 240v. If one device is on the left phase, and another on the right, the signal will be weaker, and therefore your speed will be slower.

The signal and maximum speed also varies with line load and noise. When my dryer is running (240v device), the signal is reduced some. Same thing happens when the A/C is on... Even the distance between the devices matters. So if I plug one module in one side of my home, and another in the opposite side, the signal only allows like 40Mbps.

Also, depending on how the wiring is in your home (I dunno how its done in UK) you will have a reduced signal on the other phase of the split-phase transformer that feeds your house. This basically only applies to homes in the US I believe, where the output from the transformer is 120v - neutral - 120v. If you connect to both 120v's you get 240v. If one device is on the left phase, and another on the right, the signal will be weaker, and therefore your speed will be slower.

That's because the signal has to route via the nearest transformer bridging the two phases... something that's probably on a pole down the street somewhere.

The signal and maximum speed also varies with line load and noise. When my dryer is running (240v device), the signal is reduced some. Same thing happens when the A/C is on... Even the distance between the devices matters. So if I plug one module in one side of my home, and another in the opposite side, the signal only allows like 40Mbps.

Which is still probably at least 20 times faster than his internet uplink

What happens when there are brownouts and heavy surges? I mean like 50 times a day?

Great, sounds like a plan. Will send you a postcard.

But the question still remains, since Nigeria's power is worst than here.

I live in the UK I have no concerns about powerouts or brownouts. Those are very rare here. I cannot remember the last time I experienced a power out, probably in the 1960's .

My broadband is with Virgin media cable and my upload speed is about 1Mbps but I an considering updating to their 20Mbps service which should have a considerably faster upload speed.

So I assume I would be okay buying the 200Mbps homeplugs then? I want to also add my TV later too, not for CCTV you understand but for i Player the BBC on demand service.

Great, sounds like a plan. Will send you a postcard.

But the question still remains, since Nigeria's power is worst than here.

You sure about that? I mean, you're constantly doing everything you can to convince us that the conditions where you are must be the more terrible in the world - if it's not the power, it's the heat, or the crime rate, or the import duties... seriously, is there ANYTHING you like about where you live?

You sure about that? I mean, you're constantly doing everything you can to convince us that the conditions where you are must be the more terrible in the world - if it's not the power, it's the heat, or the crime rate, or the import duties... seriously, is there ANYTHING you like about where you live?

Look if you are incapable of answering that simple question then please let someone else do it.

Deflecting away from the question would lead me to believe this product/technology is utter crap.

But then its a good job you are not in any way related to sales of the product.

What happens when there are brownouts and heavy surges? I mean like 50 times a day?

I'm a big fan of powerline network adapters and have them installed at many locations. I started using them about 7 years ago and find that they typically need to be replaced every 3 years or so, but I have some that I installed 5+ years ago that are still working fine. Surges can certainly shorten the life of these devices and/or disable them completely.

If Internet connection is lost during brownouts/surges I instruct people to power cycle the devices, which really boils down to disconnecting and reconnecting to the power source. I haven't had much success connecting the devices to surge protectors as I believe the surge protectors block the data flow as a surge, so I connect directly to the wall outlet &/or use an extension cord or power strip if the outlet is in an inaccessible area (like behind a file cabinet).

Another thing to keep in mind is distance. As the homeplugs have greater distance between them data throughput will decrease and there's really no way of knowing how much physical wiring distance is in between two wall outlets (unless you start crawling in attics and follow/measure the power lines). I typically perform speedtests when I install these devices and have run into situations where distance is too great and network/Internet throughput is unacceptable. However, I have many more success stories than failures with these devices. When they work they work great.