Sign in to follow this  
AndyM70

Problems With Video Quality on Monitor

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time on the site and my first post. I would like to start off by thanking you guys for talking the time to read this and hopefully replying.

I am an electrician who has recently installed a cctv system for one of our regular customers. This our first install and we have run into some issues. There are 13 cameras that run to a DVR at the head end. There is also a monitor at the head end which is connected through the VGA output of the DVR. The BNC video output from the DVR runs 1400' with RG59u direct burial (2 splices along the way)to a remote monitor. I now know that this is probably too far but was told by my supplier it would be ok if I used video amps. The problem I'm having is with the video quality at the monitor 1400' away. The monitors are AG Neovo AGN-sc19. With no amplifiers installed, the video quality is poor and is a bit jumpy. When I installed the amps the picture quality stayed the same. I even tried connecting the BNC video output to the head end monitor but the picture was not as clear as the VGA output. My supplier told me that the BNC video output on the Watchnet DVR VDT-ES48016RTSKIT that he sold me was not designed to output video quality picture? He then sold me a digital watchdog DWD-DWMAX480D151T DVR which he said would be suitable for this application. When I hooked up the DWD there wasn't much difference. I then tried connecting the BNC video out from the new DVR to the head end monitor and it again wasn't as good as the VGA output, but the picture on the monitor 1400' away seemed pretty close to when it was connected to the head end monitor. All splice connections have been checked and are fine. The system has been ruinning like this for a month (Poor video quality, not as good as VGA output). I just got a call that the picture on the remote monitor is really bad now. We again checked splices, OK. I'm thinking I will have to buy a continuos length of either RG6 with a video amplifier and or cat 5 with an active and passive balun to get a somewhat decent picture at the far monitor. I'm curious as to why these DVR's can only produce a good quality picture form the VGA output and not the BNC output, but mostly why am I getting a terrible picture now?

One last thing, there is a camera near the 1400' monitor and when it is unplugged the picture on the monitor becomes better and when the camera is plugged in, the picture becomes worse. This must be caused by something.

Any ideas and/or suggestions from you guys out there who know a whole lot more than I do? I would really like to resolve these issues and retain our customer's confidence. Thanks

Andy

How is the video at the DVR, also at the splice points. I would use CAT5 and active baluns, I believe the distance for proper signal on RG59U is 750 feet

The big question is, WHERE are the amps going? They should be going inline right after the DVR output. The thing is, amplifiers amplify everything, so if you stick the amp in the middle, or at each splice, your also amplifying the noise!

If you amp-it-up a lot at the beginning, you should be able to reach it no-problem.

Really, the best way to go is to use cat5 (or any UTP cable) and use active baluns at at least one end, probably both.