Sign in to follow this  
designsystem

Power surge protection

Hi guys, can anybody advise me as to what or which sort of power surge protector is best to cover the likes of a dvr in the home or place of work as i fit them in both

Surge protectors may be installed by themselves, or built-in with most UPS's. It should have a dissipation rating of at least 400 joules (more is better!) Maximum response time should be 10 nanoseconds (faster the better!)

UPS stuff:

You need to look at the wattage rating of your equipment, and compare it to the watt-hour capacity of the batteries inside the UPS (The size is typically shown).

Example: You have a 80W DVR + 20W camera PSU, 100Wh total constant load. The UPS has a 12V, 5Ah battery. Wattage for the battery is 12 * 5 = 60Wh. To calculate runtime, do 60 / 100 = 0.6 * 60 = 36 minutes. BUT, UPS's are only usually 90% efficient (they are inverters after all), so time is really more like 30 minutes. In addition, the capacity of the battery will deteriorate over the years.

In addition, look for UPS's with AVR (voltage regulation) of at most +/- 25% (less is better!).

APC Line-R Voltage Regulator - Used them for years and we have terrible power here.

Alternatively you can find a UPS with built in AVR which is the same but with battery backup.

I generally only use a Voltage Regulator with DVRs.

Had some UPS that dont come back on after power outages, and that is a problem when its a CCTV system. Besides the power normally stays off here where I live for alot longer than the average consumer UPS can handle.

Check out Ditek surge protection on the video leads, DVR's can be susceptible to surges coming from outside cameras that are affected by lightning.

Ditek, transector, and littlefuse all make good surge suppression devices for any lines coming into a structure from outside. I'd advise putting them on any outside cameras or any other line you have leaving the building. We put suppressors on the 120vac coming into any power supply too.

It often falls under installation material like cable, back boxes, etc. which is why most cctv distributors probably don't carry them.