Dim

Hi - hobbyist

Hi ya'll. Just getting back into CCTV as a hobby again, after a few years off. I first got into cameras due to the amount of property crime in my old neighborhood. My current place is less problematic, but lately a few things have happened that prompted me to dig out the old gear again.

I'm researching some cameras right now, trying not to rush into any purchases until I'm sure I know what I need. It's been fun seeing what's changed in the several years I've been absent.

Thanks to all of you for your posts, they've been really helpful.

Hi ya'll. Just getting back into CCTV as a hobby again, after a few years off. I first got into cameras due to the amount of property crime in my old neighborhood. My current place is less problematic, but lately a few things have happened that prompted me to dig out the old gear again.

I'm researching some cameras right now, trying not to rush into any purchases until I'm sure I know what I need. It's been fun seeing what's changed in the several years I've been absent.

Thanks to all of you for your posts, they've been really helpful.

Well, if it's been a few years, the most important change you will notice is the affordability

of DVR equipment over was it was few years ago, that they are almost all internet servers in their own right and the prominence of mobile phone apps to view CCTV remotely.

Then there is the prominence of IP and megapixel cameras as a surveillance technology both analogue and IP existing alongside one another.

The enjoyment is still there though.

I see what you mean about the DVRs. Also, the IP cameras look pretty amazing, and its nice to not have to worry about the analog to digital conversion. I've got a new Axis M1011-W and the basic setup was a piece of cake. Just plug in the power, plug in the ethernet cable and it showed up in Safari. I'm now trying to figure out if I can afford a megapixel IP camera, or if I'll just get a new analog camera. In the long run, I'm sure the IP cameras will make up the bulk of my system.